Sunday, July 25, 2010

Book



This isn't so much a book review as it is an anticipation of a good read. :)

Show me a book with 'weaver' or 'weaving' in the title and I will pretty much automatically pick it up in case it actually has a weaver or weaving in it. And so when I saw this book on display at the library the other day my hand naturally gravitated toward it.

As usual I opened the book and began reading the first page. If a book doesn't grip me sufficiently to turn to the next page, I don't bring it home.

So far I've only read the prologue but with language like this: "Emerald hills that hugged the heavens, that invited the clouds down low for foggy kisses." appeals to me and I'm not adverse to fantasy either so I'm looking forward to reading the rest. The rest of the prologue slowly changes from bucolic to uneasy menace.

Shana Abe has written a series of which this is the latest. Usually I prefer to read a series from the beginning but will read one to see if it is worthwhile to look up the rest, so that is what I will do with this one.

Abe is classed as a Romance writer although this series is shelved in the SF section of my local library. Romance, as a genre, generally doesn't much appeal to me but I'm not a snob about it. A well written Romance is as welcome as any other well written book in pretty much any genre.

Hopefully the rest of the book will live up to my expectations. ;)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

will await your "review" Being a reading-junkie myself, I'm always on the lookout.
BTW, did you know that the amazon.com's "Kindle" has a text-to-speech function? I like listening to audiobooks while I'm weaving. This is a tad robotic and there are problems with foreign words, but it's not at all bad! I've been reading the Cara Black "Aimée Leduc" mysteries and it stumble over the French all the time, but, what the heck.

Unknown said...

PS the towel I bought from you has inspired me to start thinking up some towels to weave myself! I have a nifty little pattern I'd love to try when my back allows me to be up and overdoing again!

Cyndi in BC said...

Have you read "The Blood of Flowers" By
Anita Amirrezvani. It's a story about rugmakers in 17th-century Persia. I listened to the audiobook but the print book is also in the library.

Laura Fry said...

I have read Blood of Flowers plus another one set in the same sort of milieu, title/author escape me at the moment. Always on the look out for new books. :)

Can't quite get myself to the point of doing Kindle etc. :D

Cheers,
Laura

Laura Fry said...

Anahita's Woven Riddle - by Meg Nuttal (?) - mental Rolodex finally coughed up the title.

Cheers,
Laura

Cyndi in BC said...

Thanks Laura, I'll check that one out. :)