Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Puff

With much regret it is time to find a new home for Puff. I have loved the ease with which I can apply a hard press to my textiles using the industrial steam press but the rent on the annex has climbed to a point where I can no longer afford to keep the space. And, since there is no room in my studio to accomodate such equipment, Puff has to find a new home.



Puff is driven by a small (referred to as a 'baby') boiler which is used in many homes that have hot water heat. The vacumm that drives the steam through the system is in the background. The system requires a heavy duty (like a stove) electrical connection.



Puff is made of cast iron and has a large bed - around 30 inches long and 14" wide. (I neglected to get measurements last night when Doug took these photos.) The boiler is supplied with filtered water and a gravity feed. If used for home heating, the boiler gets hooked up to the house water supply.




The lid clamps down and steam can be driven through the texile or not as required.

Puff weighs about 450 pounds and we hired a self-loading truck to deliver to the annex. If anyone is interested in Puff and/or the boiler contact me.

2 comments:

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

I *do* wish I could take care of him, but I fear the postage would be crippling :-(((
I really hope someone better placed will do it - it would be a shame to have to scrap him.
A steam press can never replace a mangle, but the combination can conquer anything!

Kerstin (in Sweden...)

Laura Fry said...

Yes, I'd love to have your mangle too. :}

Cheers,
Laura