Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tweaking

Since I wasn't happy with the hem area of the illusion towels, I changed it to a 1/3 twill. I'd originally thought to have a mostly red hem, but decided I liked the beige better:




One of the great advantages of a computer aided loom is that I can program the entire treadling repeat for an item including the cut line and then I can just weave without thinking too much. Surface attention is required, of course, because the loom can go wrong! But if everything is working well only surface attention is required and I can get into the zone. It's like a working meditation with the added bonus of doing an aerobic workout, getting the benefit of the exercise and the endorphins that dump into your system as a result. What's not to love? :)




As previously mentioned I'm weaving this warp under high tension. Checking my twill angle you can clearly see that at 40 epi and 36 ppi, the twill angle is steeper than the ideal of 45 degrees.

OTOH, since the warp is being held under high tension and I'm measuring under tension, plus the fact that the cotton will contract at a higher % than the linen weft, I expect that once wet finished this fabric will be very close to the ideal.

So how do I achieve the degree of tension I need for this warp?




The balance arm is jammed up against the loom frame.

Now I have been publicly chastised for telling people I do this because it can't possibly work, so don't try this at home, folks.

Oh - the string hanging down toward the front of the loom is a 'sling' that I use to hold the balance arm when the brake is disengaged.

2 comments:

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

There are too many things that "can't possibly work" - probably most of them should be tried?!?

- How is Puff?

Laura Fry said...

Puff is fine - still with me - for now. I've got so much stuff I need to weave and press using him, I'm loathe to let him go so we're not trying very hard to find a new home.....