Sunday, October 20, 2013

Looming 'Disasters'


See the mistake?  No?  Well, neither did I until after I had woven 12 yards in two different weave structures.  (Yellow line shows where I fixed the problem.)

Even after fixing the sleying oopsie, the cloth doesn't look a whole lot different.  I am hoping it will remain just as invisible after wet finishing, which is when these sorts of mistakes usually leap out at the eye.

It was only when I had the 'right' shed open to insert a new weft that I noticed there was a problem.  If I had never had that combination happen it never would have been discovered.

Just goes to show, no matter how skilled, how experienced you might be, you still make mistakes....


On another note, the first day of the UNBC Artisans of the North sale went fairly well.  It was a good thing I made lots of place mats as they sold like mad.  So much so I don't have enough for the rest of the sales and now I'm thinking that on those 3 days I have at home (plus the 3 days of Studio Fair) I might just have to stay home and weave as many more as I can fit into the time available.


And on another note entirely (pun intended!) one of the things I inherited from my brother was a bunch of cassette tapes, compilations one of his friends had made in the late 70's early 80's.  I've been weaving to the music of my young adulthood, feeling my brother very near.  I'm sure he'd be rather surprised at the level of enjoyment I'm getting from these tapes, obsolete as the technology - and the music in some cases - is.  In spite of 6 years difference in our ages (he was younger than me) we shared much the same taste in music and it was actually a bit of a surprise to discover that.  And that there were very few duplicates when I combined his CD  collection with mine.

Music is a big component of my working time in the studio.  To double my CD collection was a bonus - although I'd rather have my brother.  My vote didn't count on that score, though....

No comments: