Monday, April 9, 2018

Community


Community.  A banding together of people with like interests or living in a 'common' area.

Weavers are rare these days.  I have constantly been greeted with blank looks when I tell people I weave.  Not only do I weave, but it has been my profession for 4 decades.

When I took my first weaving class I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  Truly.  It was only that I saw possibilities.  Potential.  For living a life filled with intellectual challenge, creative boundaries - and how to push beyond them.

I had no idea I would also find community.

By and large weavers have to be some of the friendliest, helpful, supportive group you could want.

I have seen this over and over again as I have traveled, meeting 'strangers' but treated with kindness at every turn.

And so it is happening again as we push our way towards another Olds class.  Looms have been loaned.  Ground transportation freely offered.  Strangers - friends, just not met in person - yet - coming together for the sole purpose of playing with string.  Figuring out the subtleties of the craft.  Challenging ourselves to learn more.  Understand more.

Our society seems so broken right now.  This fellowship is partly what keeps me going, some days.

I feel helpless in the larger scope of the current state of affairs in the world.  And my only 'power', if you will, is to keep creating.  Keep learning.  Keep building links to others - strangers who are people I just haven't met yet - future friends.

My values are to treat others as I wish to be treated.  To be kind.  To be creative.  To create joy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"And my only 'power', if you will, is to keep creating. Keep learning. Keep building links to others - strangers who are people I just haven't met yet - future friends."
Your quote above is a Super Power!

Stephanie S