Thursday, October 18, 2018

Details



In the most recent issue of Handwoven, I have an article about Bronson Lace

One of the things I did was to use two different colours, one in the warp, one in the weft.  They are closely related, and the difference in colour really doesn't show in the photos they included in the article, so I've posted a close up here so that people can see how the two closely related but slightly different values look.

The pale value will 'advance' while the darker value will 'recede'.  Therefore the centre block will have a somewhat three dimensional look to it - subtle, but there.  Closer, the difference is much more obvious.

This is something that weavers can do to make their textiles more visually interesting.  Rather than use exactly the same colour warp and weft, two slightly different values of the same hue can provide more depth to the cloth.

Using two - or more - hues of the same value (blues to greens, perhaps), well mixed will also make a cloth have more life to it than one with only one.

Quilters have a saying that colour gets all the credit while value does all the work.  The phrase I use is that value is more important than hue.  Which is really just a different way of saying much the same thing.

If you find the whole issue of colour confusing, you might like to sign up for Tien Chiu's new on-line colour class.

Tien has been working hard to try to help people who are not intuitive colourists understand how colour works within a woven textile, with hints and tips for how to combine colours for effective textiles.

Tien is teaching a two day workshop and seminars at our conference next year.

Currently reading Red Sister by Mark Lawrence.  First in a trilogy.  Looking forward to part 2 - Grey Sister.

3 comments:

Louisa said...

Is it just me or was that issue photographed particularly badly? I was frustrated that I couldn’t see so many of the pieces- either the whole piece or a clear detail. Grumble. Thanks for showing us yours anyway!

Laura Fry said...

I confess I haven’t had time to look at the rest of the issue. I got mine right before I left for Courtenay to teach a lace workshop, and tucked the magazine into my bag. I thought part of what I had done by using the two shades just wasn’t showing so did this blog. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, Louisa, I thought the same thing. It was photographed like fashion - highlighting the models and the overall look rather than the cloth itself. Funny how the photography is what I noticed about the issue.
Stephanie S