Monday, October 22, 2018

Marketing



I took a 14 week course on marketing back in the 1990s.  One reason I took it is because I'm not - never have been - good at blowing my own horn.  I am an introvert, plus I was taught that 'ladies' never put themselves 'forward'.  Conditioning that reinforced my introverted side of not wanting to be in the limelight.

The very first week the presenter defined marketing as the simple act of sharing information.  Suddenly marketing started to make sense to me.

With the rise of the internet my introvert self has had a much easier time in terms of 'sharing' or marketing myself.  Because of course my products are an extension of myself.  And since my stated aim right from the get-go was to sell my products, the job isn't done until the products have been purchased.

'Selling' a conference is no different.  It is a product, a commodity, that we hope people will purchase.  But a conference is so much more than merely a product.  A conference is also an experience.  An opportunity for like minded people to network.  To share their knowledge, to learn from each other.  It is a chance to receive valuable feedback from others who know something about what you are trying to accomplish.  A chance to shine in the exhibits.  To talk with others where you don't have to justify your passion.

Now that the bulk of the planning has been done, it is time to start marketing the conference.  Based on the information the instructors have sent, I have been first drawing up a schedule that I hope will allow people to attend seminars but also visit the exhibits.  I have also been receiving requests for meeting space for special interest groups.  And I have been working on blog posts which will be posted on the 'official' conference blog over the coming weeks.

Because I am heading into craft fair season, and even though I'm not doing as many shows as I used to, my current health issues have made my energy scarce.  Blogger allows me to write posts and schedule them for publication later.

So far I have 5 posts scheduled which will go live on Saturdays over the coming weeks.  I will continue to share information as I can get it done and scheduled.  If you aren't following the conference blog, or the conference Facebook page, those are probably the easiest way to stay in touch.

No comments: