Friday, November 2, 2018

Engagement


This morning I commented on Facebook that one of the things I was bringing to the craft fair was my knitting.

Someone objected that craftspeople who want to sell their things must not do such things because they must engage with their customers.

Happens that I agree completely with that observation.

I always take a corner position (when ever possible) and set up so that there is good flow through traffic.  My textiles need to be hung up as much as possible.  I always have a mirror so that potential customers can see how a scarf/shawl will look, worn.

I try very hard to say 'good morning' or 'hello' at the very least, pointing out the mirror for try-ons or volunteering the information that the place mats and tea towels are machine wash and dry.

But I am an introvert.  Engaging with so many people all day long, in noisy, sometimes crowded venues?  Is very wearing on me.  It sucks the energy right out of me.  And then the times when it's so quiet that people are not even coming into the booth I get very anxious.

Over the years I have found that if I just bring my knitting bag with me - even though I may never actually touch the knitting - my anxiety is much less.  I might only knit while I am on a break.  I might pull it out and knit during the first or last hour of the show because I'm usually buried in the back of the hall and it takes about an hour for people to walk through the show and get to me.

Even if I do succumb to the knitting, I never bring anything complicated, nothing that I can't put down mid-row, nothing that I have to count for decreases or yarn overs.  The kind of knitting I bring to a show is straight knitting aka garter stitch.  If I can keep my hands busy fidgeting with needles and yarn, I can focus on the task at hand instead of wishing I were anywhere but there.  And I can easily lift my eyes and say hello - and keep on knitting.

I also do not sit in an 'ordinary' chair.  We keep a tall stool that we perch on.  This allows us to take the weight off our feet but still remain close to eye level.

So while I agree wholeheartedly with the admonition to engage with the customers?  I also know how to sooth my nerves while I do so.

Ultimately, until my textiles are sold, the job isn't done.


7 comments:

Lara said...

It's something that would draw me in as a customer! Having space to explore a booth is always a plus. However you best engage is the right thing. Spinning with a spindle takes the edge off for me, and helps me engage. It has always mystified me when people see hands-at-work as a barrier to conversation... my listening ears are on, and it's no big deal to gasp, speak!

Carol said...

I agree with Lara. If I'm working on something fiber-related at the booth, it's another reason for shoppers to stop and talk, which makes a better opportunity for them to see all my wares. Many sales made because of explaining spinning or naalbinging.

Louisa said...

I take my knitting when we meet with our financial advisor. It’s the only way I can understand all the numbers and investment jargon. He doesn’t mind at all and always asks me what I’m making this time!

Katie said...

Everyone’s a critic! Gosh, it’s not like you don’t have years of experience on what works/doesn’t work!

Peg Cherre said...

I bring my rigid heddle loom and demonstrate whenever possible. Sometimes space simply doesn't allow it. And sometimes I have no appropriate yarns to work with on this particular loom. Still, when I can and do bring it, it always attracts people into my booth. And keeps me from going crazy.

Anonymous said...

I've done shows for 30 some odd years. Full time almost 20. If I didn't get told that 5 times a show, by other exhibitors,that working on things was a bad choice, I wondered what was wrong!

I always take things to work on. It has always paid off. People are curious and would always walk up to talk to me or see what I was working on. More often than not, the item I would be working on sold, right out of hands. Though I might have to ship it later on. Shy people often felt more comfortable coming into the booth because I at least appeared busy/distracted. It has never stopped me from greeting someone, making eye contact, or assisting.

Yes doing something that looks like boredom (aka reading or these days nose stuck to a mobile device) is bad but handwork or product production? I say never bad.

Peg Cherre said...

Agreed - it's that book reading and mobile device stuff that really turns people off. Not working.