Saturday, December 22, 2018

The Numbers Are In



The introductory offer for The Intentional Weaver ended at midnight last night.  The numbers are in.  The order for the printed books has been sent.  There is an anticipated date for the shipment to leave the printing facility.

This project has been...interesting...especially when compared to self-publishing Magic in the Water.

So much has changed since 2002 in terms of the technology available.

The photos for the book were taken - almost entirely - with an iPhone.  Seriously.

The internet facilitated communication with the friends doing first the beta reading and editing comments, then updates from Ruth as her work progressed.

But the biggest change of all is in the actual printing/publishing.  This time I did not go to a local printer and arrange for the pages to be printed on an offset press, but Ruth worked her magic on the text/photos/diagrams and the file was sent electronically to the website and the books are printed far away and shipped.

The website, which will now take over distribution of the book (almost) entirely will accept orders, print out on demand - if that's what the order is for - and ship.  Apparently the company has facilities all over the place - I even found one in France with Magic in the Water offered with the listing en francais, but of course the text is in English.  We also found a facility in Australia, most likely why they can offer such a low shipping price in comparison to my postage rate from Canada.

People can choose to either purchase a printed on demand hard copy, or the PDF.  They can also, if they wish, purchase Magic in the Water in the same format options.

Since I am technically self-publishing, marketing will still be up to me, but since this book is targeted to a niche of a niche market, I figure I know my customers and am likely best equipped to address them.

But I am also hoping that satisfied readers will recommend the book to others.  I have promotional material drawn up and several people have requested it for their guild newsletters.  For that I thank them.  (If you want a copy of the 'ad', email me and I will send it as a Word document.)

Now the fun bit begins.  Getting the orders sorted, writing out the mailing labels, filling in the customs forms.  Ordering boxes of padded envelopes.  Then accepting the boxes (and boxes) of books when they arrive, filling the envelopes, affixing the labels, customs forms, getting them all down to the post office.

We will work on this as quickly and efficiently (you wouldn't expect anything less from me, now would you?) and into the mail.

From the bottom of my heart - thank you to all who ordered, both directly from me and through blurb.


3 comments:

Mette said...

Whao, i just went to blurb to check the shipping...
If i order both of your book, they estimate that shipping is about 13,5 USD.....
That May very weel men, that I will get myself a hard copybof the book instead of a PDF.
Or maybe both, who know 🙂
And when I get it I will make sure to sprede the word....🙂

Mette said...

And the books is being shipped to Denmark. That is a rather importent detail, when the point is cheap shipping 😊

Laura Fry said...

Yes. The company apparently has an office in the Netherlands - perhaps they can ship to Denmark from there, instead of me shipping from western Canada. :)

Thank you and happy holidays.