Sunday, March 3, 2019

Assumptions



Next place mat warp ready to go into the loom


There are two sides to everything.  As someone who has taught weaving for a long time, one of the things I have had to do is understand my assumptions.  First I had to understand that when someone didn't know something, they didn't know that they didn't know that thing.

But I also had to understand that knowing as much as I do about weaving, I could not assume that anyone else also knew that thing.

My knowledge and learned processes are so ingrained that there is real danger in simply forgetting to mention something crucial.

I also have a bias because there are certain processes or approaches that I find work best for me.  Again, there is danger in assuming that my processes are 100% best for everyone.

So I have focused on principles and then let people choose how best to incorporate those principles into their practice.

Then there is trying to articulate a motion.  How to find the words to make something so automatic that I almost never think about it any more understandable to someone who may never have the option to actually see someone do that motion.

I addressed this by making short video clips of things (posted to You Tube) but the camera angle determines what the viewer sees.  And sometimes they need to see things from a different perspective.

Interweave gave me the opportunity to do DVDs but again - camera angle is critical.  We did the best we could, but they don't always carry the information everyone wants to be able to see.

Video clips and DVDs are also approaches that are less in depth.  And so I wrote a book.  I could explain in more detail, but the words are static on the page.  We included lots of photos, but again - camera angle.

As teachers know, it is critical to be able to convey information in various ways, different formats.  It is always 'best' to learn in person so that you can get feedback from the instructor.  Having an actual interaction with the instructor reminds the instructor to not make assumptions and the student that they don't always know everything.  It is, in a very real way, a conversation.

When I was first beginning I took every workshop, attended every conference I could afford.  I still take workshops, usually because I want to have that interaction with the instructor, find out how they think, how they process information.

Now that registration is open for the conference I am looking at the offerings and regretting that I'm going to be teaching myself because there are several people giving seminars I would love to sit in on.  Abby Franquemont talking about Peruvian textiles.  Sarah Wroot about historical textiles.  Maureen Faulkner about her travels and textile collection. Susan Pavel about Salish weaving and culture. And more!

When I chose weaving as a career I knew I would not, could not, learn everything there is to know about textiles.  Once again I have been proven right as I longingly peruse the tasty menu of the conference offerings.

No comments: