Sunday, August 4, 2019

Looking Forward



Well, the Whitin winder has now left the building and is on it's way to it's new home

There are still many more things to be done in my studio, but as the dust starts to settle, I begin to look towards the future.

One of the things is what happens next in regards to The Intentional Weaver.  The review in Handwoven is in the latest issue, and I've seen some orders happen.  But I also recognize that books are expensive.  We went with the hardback to begin with because they are more durable.  Not everyone can afford to buy hardback.

My trusty editor and I have been mulling over whether it would be 'better' to just have the hardback and digital copies as we do presently, or if we should explore a paperback option.

She wondered if it would even be worthwhile to offer paperback.

My feeling is that there would be a market for a cheaper print version, but don't really know.

Things on that front are on hold for a while, in no small part because I have a busy travel schedule, but I will be home for about 5 weeks after my second trip and before the first craft fair happens.

I expect that by that time of the year I will have to make a decision and if we go with the paperback version I will have to see if Ruth has time in her schedule to render the files and load them to blurb.

What I have decided is that I will not order in copies to sell directly.  If we launch the paperback version on Dec. 2 (one year after hard back launch), it would mean that I would have to deal with orders, then shipping the books out.  Since I'm hoping to get my foot 'fixed', I'm going to be recovering from surgery and hopping about trying to deal with packages and mail and whatnot really isn't advisable.

So - what say you, dear reader?  We don't have a price because the file would have to be rendered on the blurb website in order to get their quote on printing, but it would be cheaper than the hard back.  How much cheaper?  To be determined.

1 comment:

steelwool said...

yeah to a less expensive book.