Thursday, November 28, 2019

Gratitude


This is the season for gratitude.

Recently talked with friends about The Meaning of Life.  In reality the only meaning to anyone's life is the meaning they give to it by their actions.

I hope all my American friends enjoy their turkey - or whatever foods they have chosen to have on this day.

But thinking about my life, because that's about all I am qualified to think about, I am reminded over and over again that 'meaning' comes not from outside but from inside.

When my brother died, far too young, I really wondered why it hadn't been me instead.  I was older than he, and should have been 'first'.  But I'm still here.  Still trying to find 'meaning' in why I am here.

Life can be difficult on so many levels.  I focus, as much as I am able, on finding solutions to the problems that present themselves.  As I get older, I stop worrying so much about what other people think of me, but try to live in a way that is helpful to others.

So many helped me in my early days (and continue to this day), the very least I can do is extend a helping supportive hand to those around me.

Many of my friends are struggling with financial or other difficulties.  I cannot lift them out of their current struggle, but I can tell them I see what they are going through and that I am proud of them for taking care of their families to the best of their ability.

I can point new weavers in the direction of resources.  I can answer questions.  I tell students that a class with me comes with a Lifetime Guarantee - they can email me any time and I will try to find answers for them.  My background is broad and in some areas, deep.

Things can be rocky, especially during transitions, as I have been reminded this year.  Personally I am through the 'worst' (I sincerely hope!) and we are beginning to dig out from under all the work needed to get the studio condensed into one location.  There is still more to be done, but the studio here is beginning to take shape and I am making friends with the Megado and getting some weaving done.

Digging for silver linings, beginning each day with an attitude of gratitude, these are the ways I cope with life.  Not just on one day a year, but every day.

2 comments:

Jessica M. said...

Laura, thank you for letting us look over your shoulder as you go through this transition. I appreciate your perspective, your candor, and you example. Best wishes as you continue to learn and adapt.

Felicia from SweetGeorgia said...

Thank you so much Laura, every time I read your writing I'm at once calmed and inspired. Thank you for being so generous with your teaching and with your wisdom. And excited to see your new adventures with that Megado.