Friday, June 26, 2020

Onwards



I really love the design known as Snail's Trails and Cat's Paws. 

Weaving is mostly straight lines, either up and down or diagonally.  But it can also be curves.

Exploring the theme of Delft pottery yesterday, I found enough yarn to make a warp for the draft I had developed.  It is mostly a mid-range blue - except I didn't have quite enough tubes of that colour.  Not that I have been doing solid warps of late anyway, much preferring to toss several different colours/values into the mix.

So I put in a few tubes of this and that, paying attention to value more than hue. 

Delft pottery is a white background with blue decoration that varies from a kind of cobalt blue to somewhat darker, somewhat lighter, sometimes having a greyed aspect to the colour.  Since I'm beginning to run out of yarn (horrors!) on my quest to weave down my stash, I wound up putting a greyed blue in the bin as well as a dark green.  In the end I managed to get the 32 tubes needed to fill each section, but it took a while, sometimes choosing, then rejecting, then deciding that in the grand scheme of things, it would be ok.

In the photo above you can see lines in the warp from where several light values got grouped together.  I do try to mix the yarns thoroughly, but in the end if there are lines such as above, I don't fret about them too much.

And so today I will be pressing the last of the scale design towels - there was enough for a total of 19 towels, which will be posted on ko-fi in the next day or two. 

Then I will begin beaming the white warp for the rose trellis design.

The weather so far this year has been mostly cool with almost daily 'monsoon' type rains.  The rivers around here are in flood.  But perhaps the rain is keeping the bush wet enough that we won't have a nasty wild fire season.

Our province is continuing to open up, with the health director cautioning people to keep physical distance and wear masks.  I have been offering my carport for the stitch group I belong to to meet.  Our carport is large and when the van is backed out into the driveway there is plenty of room for people to sit and stay safe while we have a visit.  The carport provides shade from sun or protection from rain.

Summer is quiet for the guild but I expect that we will be coming up with a re-opening plan for the guild room soon.

The Maritime provinces have done a great job of flattening the curve of the pandemic, and have been opening up for a couple of weeks.  They are now saying they will widen their  'bubble' to include travel between the Maritime provinces.  With the Olds classes scheduled for the beginning of September, it may be possible for Canadians to travel to Nova Scotia for the classes.  Time will tell.

In the meantime I continue to stay home as much as possible while Doug does the outside errands and we both wear masks when out in public.  Because we can't control what other people do.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Laura, this is really interesting - you describe this project as being colored like Delft pottery, but to me the picture looks like a green warp and purple weft. Am I missing something, or is this an odd browser color effect?

Laura Fry said...

It’s an old photo. The motif will be similar to that shown in the photo. The new warp will be blue, woven with a white weft.

The next warp, being beamed today, is white. Pictures coming soon as I get weaving. :)