Friday, July 3, 2020

Options



With the pandemic continuing, especially in some parts of the world, things like classes or other gatherings are being put on hold.

It is very upsetting for a lot of people as their course of study, be it elementary/high school or college/university or other avenues of learning are so completely up in the air.  Many teachers are being forced by circumstance to convert their classes to on-line, with all the upheaval that entails.

If someone has never taught a course of study, there is little understanding of the kind of preparation that is required.  To then pivot and put that class on-line requires a further investment of time, expertise and technology that might be completely beyond an individual, never mind an institution that might have tech support but is overwhelmed with ALL the teachers needing to do the same at the same time.

Do teachers invest perhaps a hundred hours of prep time creating an on-line class that then becomes redundant in a year because the pandemic is over?  Or do they sit tight and hope that things will be able to return to some semblance of normality?

On the other hand, in the textile community a number of people had begun the shift to on-line learning, so they were already prepared with camera crews, appropriate physical space and on-line presence.

Others, like myself,  had produced DVDs and with the break up of Interweave and the creation of Long Thread Media, those DVDs were turned into on-line 'workshops'.

As for classes like the Olds master weaving/spinning classes, much of the value of those classes are the in person aspect where the instructor can view how the student is working (ergonomically) and give in person 'correction' plus answer questions in real time from which the entire class benefits.

There are other instructors who are presently working on on-line resources.  Some are beginning to roll out on-line data bases and classes.  Others are working on them and will launch as soon as they finish their production.

Some have Patreon accounts and may have on-line mini-classes for subscribers.

I can recommend the following:
Jane Stafford's on-line guild
Tien Chiu Warp and Weave classes
Janet Dawson - Craftsy class, turned into bluprint, now bought out by another company
Long Thread Media's catalogue of DVDs now on-line workshops
Daryl Lancaster

As other efforts go live I will announce/share the info as it comes available.

For myself, there are still the level two and four Olds classes scheduled for Nova Scotia in September.  Whether or not it will be advisable for people to travel to Cape Breton remains to be seen.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Including links would be very helpful!

Jacquie said...

Come on anonymous, give Laura a break. I copied and pasted one into google and it took me all of 5 seconds longer than a direct link would have done.

Laura Fry said...

I do generally include links and have done in the past. A new reader would not be aware of that. Yesterday got a bit challenging, for reasons, and I figured a quick google search would turn up these high profile folk for anyone interested. We all get tired, though, including me. I do my best to amplify and support others. Some days I’m better at it than others.

Daryl said...

Thanks for the query Laura! All of my lectures were already on Powerpoint, years of work, editing and tweaking and updating. Now with metric equivalents. I spent some time last week updating my workshop offerings page to indicate which of my lectures would be suitable for remote learning. I just did a one hour "keynote" lecture for Peters Valley, part of an artist series, which is now available for free on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0q8OIEp3I&t=13s It was recorded with Zoom. There were over 300 participants. There is a huge learning curve with online teaching if you aren't already set up to do slide shows and videos. My webcam on the main system died and there isn't a Logitech webcam available in 300 miles. But that will change, and it will require an investment in video streaming equipment, but for now, Powerpoint and Zoom are delightful companions. Meanwhile, I've taken the quarantine time to create digital PDF downloads of all of my workshop patterns, and though it is impossible to create a five day garment construction retreat virtually, parts of it can work, and I'm willing to try. And when this all passes, I'm hoping to offer private or semi private retreats in my home. www.daryllancaster.com

Laura Fry said...

Thanks Daryl. I have been reading your blog and knew you were working hard on these things. :)