Saturday, February 5, 2022

Advice

 


One of the most difficult things I do is to diagnose - on line - problems someone is having with their weaving.

The next most difficult thing I do is try to explain what the person might consider in order to improve their results.

At times my advice puts me at odds with others in the weaving community.  There are so many assumptions made by people and frequently the same old advice will be given when my experience has told me that the 'usual' advice is only a part of the story.

And why I so frequently begin anything I say with 'it depends'.

So many steps along the way can go slightly 'wrong' and if there are enough of them in one piece it begins to get really difficult to determine what the root cause actually is.  And so people look at the symptom and give advice based on that.

There are times when I have been told that I don't know what I'm talking about.  And it's true - I don't know everything.  But I do know things.  

And so when people ask questions, I try to understand what their problem actually is, not just put a bandage on the symptom.

Of course teaching this kind of subtlety is so much easier in person when I can demonstrate what I mean, not just try to find words to convey a motion or action.  Or a principle of physics.

But neither to I enjoy seeing people who are truly puzzled and really want to do better get frustrated.  

My latest efforts are geared towards the SOS classes.  If anyone wants to know more, there are several hours worth of video showing people what I do and as much as possible, why I do it.  Then I wade in and answer questions.  Yes, even when I don't agree with what has been said previously.  

My intention is not to be disagreeable, but to shine further light onto the craft.  And bottom line?  Whoever is reading what I say must then filter my comments through their processes and decide if there is merit in them for their situation or not.

The life so short, the craft so long to learn.  

ps - watch for launch date around mid-February for Magic in the Water...

No comments: