Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Busy Busy

 



Fancy twills can get quite...busy.  I wasn't entirely sure if I would like this draft in a high contrast colour for weft, but I think it's ok.

The design is symmetrical with a 'border' along each edge and a field in between the two flowers or snowflakes.  I will sometimes do this in order to reduce the overall busy-ness of a design.  It also means that the towel can be folded in half lengthwise and present the complete width of the motif running down the 'centre' of the folded cloth.

The motif was large enough that I had to juggle a bit to decide how long to make it and where the repeat would happen.  Since I didn't want to cut the motif in half, the individual motifs are linked, like a daisy chain or garland, lengthwise.  

While I can't see more than one motif at a time while I'm weaving, I am pleased enough with this to continue without any edits.  

There is a very small area at the beginning and end which will be turned under for the hems and should leave the motif complete if I'm careful in the turning/hemming.

It's another grey dreary day, far too warm, so streets are slippery.  But after weaving one towel yesterday, I think I'm ok to weave another today.

I'm still having 'fun' seeing fine detail but throwing the shuttle didn't seem to be a problem, so I am now on perceptible recovery.  I'm working hard at being patient (NOT my strongest suit) and reminding myself daily (hourly when necessary) that I AM 'retired' and my goals are simply my goals and if I need to take more time than I hoped to recover, then I need to give my body that time.

In the meantime I have my jigsaw puzzle(s), a good book (Fabric by Victoria Findlay) and the internet.  We have heat and light and food in the cupboards.  I'm fine.  Ignore that tiny violin and the saddest song ever played...

1 comment:

Juli S said...

I learned patience, or some version of it, when I shattered my femur in a car accident at age 25. I had a job as a soil scientist, mapping soils in the Cascade and Coast Range Mountains of Oregon. However, I spent 9 weeks in traction in the hospital and then another 2 1/2 months in a body cast and wheelchair. And then had to learn to walk again and build muscle back. It was a long haul, but I just used to do what I could from the bed, and gradually, I was hiking again. Hang in there! It will get better in its own time.