Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Pacing Myself

 


blue version of the current tea towel

This morning I did my current routine of eye drops beginning as soon as I wake up and can pry my eyes open.  Then at 9 am, tablets and 3 different drops.  At 10 am I do multiple drops of one kind.  Then at 11 and 1, one drop of one kind.  At 3 pm more tablets and one kind of drop, once.  Then 4 pm, multiple drops of one kind of drop, then 5 pm one drop of one kind, and again at 7 pm.  At 8 pm I do multiple drops of one kind of drop, then at 9 pm tablets and three different drops, at 11 pm one drop of one kind, an ointment in my left eye just before I crawl into bed,.

With such a schedule, it's not easy to leave the house, so I don't.  My priority is to save the sight in my left eye, and the way my eye doc is throwing various chemicals into it, I can only assume the desired outcome is not yet guaranteed.

Today I'm waiting for a delivery of a different medication.  This one is for cholesterol levels and I've run out with tomorrow being next dose day.  So I'm upstairs, not at the loom, because I can't hear the doorbell when I'm in the studio and Doug has gone to do some self care of his own.  He's back into the routine of the Y three times a week.

Until a few years ago, we were both physically fit but between aging and the pandemic and my worsening back, we have both slid off the fitness scales rather significantly.  So he is trying to be more aware of his fitness while I hope I can start to get back to mine.  I just have to make it through this time and hope the back pain doctor will be able to help me.

While I was weaving this morning I thought about what I would request from life and it is that I can maintain a more active life than I've been able to manage the last couple of years.  I'm beyond tired of the chronic pain but until recently didn't know that there might be a treatment/procedure that would actually reduce the pain I've lived with and which will only get worse.  The treatment is not a cure, just a temporary relief but whatever, I'll take it if it will work for me.

Otherwise my life will continue to shrink and activities beyond home curtailed.  And that is sad to contemplate, so I try to hold onto hope and some better news in about 3 weeks.

In the meantime, hoping for something 'better' I continue to think about ways I can at least continue to weave and teach, even if only from home via the internet.  So I have several Zoom presentations booked, have agreed to teach level one at Olds in June (hopefully all those optimists who say covid will be over soon are correct) and investigate further opportunities via School of Sweet Georgia.

I'm annoyed the delivery I'm waiting for hasn't come yet, otherwise I could be weaving another towel.  But it hasn't, so I'm kicking the baseboards feeling somewhat annoyed.  So I'm going to go work on the next puzzle and listen to some music and enjoy the sight of a lovely brilliant sun.  And take another lesson in pacing myself.

No comments: