Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Leap of Faith

 


dark blue warp, dark forest green weft (colour not true irl)

Finally got the next warp beamed, threaded, sleyed and tied on and began weaving over the weekend.

I'm still on 'light' duty, only weaving 30 minutes at a time, some days only one session.  But it's better than nothing, and this time will pass.

Since I was a bit 'anxious' I'd made a poor decision with this warp, I really wanted to at least see it woven, so I was pleased when I got the first half towel done and was able to declare it would 'do'.

It's actually darker than this, but the camera caught the 'extra' light bounced off the mercerized cotton and brightened the green quite a bit.  However, I think it's a success, even so.  

Once the warp is wet finished I will decide which side of the cloth will be the right side, but right now I like this side enough that it may be the right side.  Or not.  Some decisions are better left until after wet finishing.

There is enough of this dark green to weave between 8 to 10 towels, and then I'll switch to a dark navy blue, which will give a bit of a 'damask' look to the cloth.  

These towels will not be attractive to people who like brighter colours, but I think they will look elegant.  And they will dry dishes.  And, even more important, use up the last of my mercerized cotton stash.

Once that is gone, I will go back to using up some of my unmercerized 2/16 cotton.  There are many, many tubes of natural white left from beaming the white warps which will work as bobbins in the shuttle.  The dark blue warp and white weft should have a 'delft pottery' look about them.  I need to design some more patterns that will pay on that 'theme', but since I have the rest of the mercerized cotton to use up 'first', I have time to play.

In the meantime, I will post a newly finished towel to ko-fi when I'm done here, and continue hemming the white and red towels I got pressed over the weekend.  Once they are done, they will be listed as well.

Hopefully the new pain meds will arrive today - or soon - and things should start to get a bit better.  But getting to the loom at least once a day means I generate some endorphins and that helps, so my goal is to keep weaving.  

For as long as I can...

1 comment:

Bette Nordberg said...

I am so sorry that you are struggling with pain. I get it. My shoulder surgery was in June... I love these blue and green towels. I love the way the slightly different colors with the same intensity add iridescence to the overall color. Your work always amazes.