Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Marking Milestones

One of the services provided by Blogger is a count of page views.  I'm not sure why we like to read meaning into statistics.  At any rate, this blog has recently passed one milestone - more than 200 official followers - and sometime today should pass the 200,000 page views.  It's sort of like watching the odometer roll over on your vehicle.  Why should it matter how many page views - or kilometers - there are?  But somehow we watch, fascinated, as the numbers roll by....


It has been 37 years since I decided to radically change the course of my life and become a weaver.  And examining this fabric was the pivotal point.  Bumblebees aren't supposed to be able to fly - apparently in engineering terms, they aren't aerodynamic enough or something.

Likewise you aren't supposed to be able to earn a living in the crafts - unless you become a famous 'artist' - you certainly aren't supposed to do it in a small geographically isolated community like the one in which I live.

While I can't really claim that I've earned a living for 37 years, I've done it for some of those years and I have always had an income - sometimes larger, sometimes smaller - from some aspect of weaving.  I would be 'proud' of that except that I made that choice and followed this path, not because I wanted to become 'rich' - because I knew there was slim possibility of that ever happening - but because I knew that, deep down in my soul, my spirit, whatever you want to call it - I had to do something creative or I would shrivel up and die.

The latest Handwoven arrived last week.  I noticed that there are going to be gatherings this autumn on each coast of the USA, both in communities called Weaverville, in which weavers are going to gather to look at the aspects involved in earning an income via weaving.  If I were 'rich' I'd be able to attend, but there is slim chance of that happening, either.  On the other hand, if you are interested in aspects of earning an income through weaving, it might be something to consider.

Currently reading Murder on the Ballarat Train by Kerry Greenwood

1 comment:

trish said...

Congratulations!!!! and thank you once again for your inspiring (and edicational) posts!
Weaverville on both coasts - that is fascinating. It would be lovely if they were able to make the meetings available to the many of us that won't be able to attend. A couple of months ago I "attended" a weekend conference in California via the web - it was in real time - and for me it was a life changing experience! One I could not have been part of without the internet. So... I'm wondering if maybe Syne or...someone else could make this simulcast happen for the meetings re weaving for an income....I would absolutely want to be part of it.