Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Count Down.


Since I’m still not feeling well, I have spent the last two days very quietly.  We have talked and Mary has dealt with things that needed doing.  After a week away the yard needed some attention, plus she has a weaving project that she is working on.  

I’ve been ensconced in the arm chair in the living room, either scrolling on the iPad or at times, knitting.  I’m now over half through this shawl, but running out of one of the yarns.  I have some purple at home which should do for a border along the edge of the shawl.  

I had a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of commercially spun yarns.  Nothing of any great quantity, so nothing I cared to use up weaving.  But I got into a rhythm of knitting shawls, mainly because I didn’t want to toss it.   I have been gifting them to friends or donating to worthy causes.  The last batch went to the guild and I expect to give them the rest.  

Some of the yarn had gotten attacked by moths, but that is much less of an issue in knitting.   Since the yarn is mostly wool, I would just spit join and keep going.  

After lunch I tackled packing.  Still a few more things to deal with.  One carry on will be fairly empty.   I’d rather it be empty than the checked bag.  Those get slammed around so much, I don’t want it crushed.  I bought it new about two years ago so I don’t want it getting damaged.  Yet. 

I’m over half way through my book, might finish it if I can’t sleep.  But I’m hoping I will be able to get at least some sleep.  The alarm will go at 3 am so that I can get through security in time for my 6:15 flight.  I actually paid to upgrade my seat on the Chicago to Vancouver leg.  I’m feeling unwell enough I didn’t want a window seat for 4+ hours.  Creature comfort is far too important to me than saving a little money.   If I wasn’t unwell, I would have toughed it out, but decided I needed a little more comfort.  So I snagged an aisle seat in the exit row which was empty.  Nothing else much was.

And I think this is all part of my reluctance to fly now.   Planes are full, or over full.  The last couple of trips at least one leg was asking for volunteers to delay.  Overhead bins fill to over flowing and leg room seems to get less and less.  Not to mention the actual seats seem lumpy and uncomfortable.  Or maybe it’s just me. 

Whatever.  Not really wanting to make long trips much anymore. 


No comments: