Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Book Review - The Reality Bubble



“Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested; that is, some books are to be read only in parts; others to be read, but not curiously; and some few are to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.”


― Francis Bacon, The Essays

The Daily Planet was a weekly news program on the Discovery Channel (in Canada, I don't know about the US) that covered developments in STEM - Science, Technology etc.

Ziya Tong co-hosted the program for quite a few years.  As a journalist interested in STEM, she was on the front lines of being aware of developments and covered the stories with enthusiasm.

Discovery Channel made the decision to discontinue the show after 20 years which was a great disappointment to me as it was one show I enjoyed watching, and being kept informed of the latest news kept me fascinated about what was either available, or where research was looking for answers to questions.

Tong writes eloquently and engagingly about how our perceptions colour our world view.  While I have not finished the book, I have read enough to be an enthusiastic promoter of folk reading the book.  We live in bubbles that we call reality when the fact is, those bubbles restrict our understanding of how amazing our world, our universe, our very existence truly is.

I have been trying to break down my personal bubble of social constructs and finding this book valuable in helping me see through the fog of my own perceptions.

The Reality Bubble should, in my opinion, be tasted, chewed, then read 'wholly, and with diligence and attention.'.


No comments: