Saturday, January 4, 2020

Keeping Track

I have two planning calendars - one for the current year, one for the coming year.  Early in January I wipe last years calendar off, post the now current one where I can easily consult it (door of my office) and set up the calendar for the next year which I also keep in the office.

This year I don't have to track craft fairs, but I do have to keep track of teaching.  Already I have two weaving workshops in Feb, am holding dates for two weeks in April then in May in case Olds assigns me to those satellite classes, Olds Fibre Week, where I'm booked to teach level one again, then Convergence in Knoxville TN, where I plan on hanging out (and giving Teresa Ruch comfort breaks from her vendor booth).

I have also said I would help with the guild exhibit at the fall fair so I need to sort out when exactly that will be, plus help at the guild booth at the craft fair, then lastly, the guild sale we routinely have in December.

So all of those will get entered into the 2020 calendar.  2021 will be blank for now as I no longer teach for guilds.  Other than my own, of course.

January has gotten more complicated than expected, but I'm feeling much improved and managing to get some work done every day.  (Still think of weaving as 'work' - that may take a while to change!   Is it still work when you don't really expect an income from it?  House work is still called 'work' and if you do your own, you don't get paid money, just the satisfaction of getting it done.  My payment for weaving will now be enjoyment and satisfaction.  Hmmm....)

We are having a far too warm January.  We had about 6" of snow, but the temps rose to +0 C and then it rained - hard - on top of already nasty roads.  With more precipitation and equally warm temps for the next while, driving is going to be done very carefully - by me, at least.

My goals for the next while are to stay on top of the marking for Olds - I have one box in hand, another en route.  I need to prepare for two Intro to Weaving weekends.  If they want to continue, I need to figure out a date for a further workshop for those interested.   I'm not sure when I will find out if it will be me teaching the two satellite classes, but I am heartened by the growth in the program.

The Gaelic College in Cape Breton is scheduling all four levels this year.  Fibreworks Studio is offering level one and two.  The college website has not been updated with the 2020 course offerings yet, but you can check in a week or two.  There is a button on the far right for off campus listings.


For the class at Madeira Park on the lovely Sunshine Coast, you can reserve your spot by contacting Alexis directly.

If I teach I plan on driving so I can bring a van load of stuff with me, plus potentially two classes.  :)

The drive from Vancouver up the Sea to Sky Highway is pretty amazing.  The Coast Mountain Range drops almost directly into the sea.  Long fjords line the coast and the highway hugs the thin strip of land between the two.  In April the weather could be cool and wet.  Or it could be glorious with spring bursting forth.  Cape Breton in May will most likely be windy with the winds blasting off the Atlantic.  The advantage to Cape Breton is that the studio is fully loaded and you don't have to transport a loom.

Today I will be tackling that silk warp while Doug goes pressing.  We are waiting for word on the sale of some studio stuff and slowly the rubble is being removed.  Several trips to the thrift shops are planned and Doug has been filling the recycle bins, including his scrap metal bin with various things.  Yesterday the fan on my ancient humidifier died so that will be added to the pile.  We haven't been able to buy the 'proper' wicks for that for years so we'll get a new one.

With the warmer temps and the precipitation, the relative humidity isn't terribly dry but I don't like weaving with silk when it's 'dry', so hopefully we can replace the humidifier quickly.  We just have so many things on our respective to-be-done lists!

For this morning, however, I am meeting a friend to deliver her Ashford order and have brunch and a catch up.  I'll deal with the silk warp this afternoon.  Or my ledger.  Or who knows?  Maybe both.




1 comment:

Doreen MacL said...

I live on the beautiful Sunshine Coast BC and highly recommend this location for the Master Weavers program. It is a comfortable venue and a great area for other water/land based activities. Come one, come all!