Saturday, February 22, 2020

Teaching




Image may contain: 5 people

Teaching, talking, sharing.  This class is from a few years ago, but I'm still talking.

Last weekend there were six, this weekend 5, all great folk, willing to laugh, not take themselves too seriously, but seriously interested in learning about weaving.

This Saturday went much like last, with most of the day spent with me talking.  Sharing language, concepts, processes, focused on ergonomics.

By end of day today everyone was beginning to weave. 

I warn students that I'm going to sling a lot of information at them, that they won't all catch it all first or even 10th time.  Because there is a LOT to learn.

Change one thing and everything can change.  If you can't be perfect, be consistent.  Never use a knot where a bow will do.  My same old routine, but it is new to them (mostly).

There was a lot of fumbling, a lot of 'what is the called again?', a lot of confusion.  And it is all normal.  Familiar.  Standard.  When there is a lot to learn, it takes a while to learn it.

I don't know how many of this lot will continue, but knowledge is never wasted, understanding is to  be desired.

It's all good.

1 comment:

Peg Cherre said...

I completely agree: knowledge is never wasted. For any number of reasons. Keep teaching, and we’ll keep learning.