Friday, February 14, 2020

Tradition



This is a photo of heart tea towels on the loom, which is why they look like they are receding into the distance.

I follow several folk on line, one of whom is Beau of the Fifth Column.  He did a video this morning (well, I saw it this morning) about Valentine's Day and the origins of the 'celebration'.  He had some interesting comments (he usually does, which is why I follow him) about the origins of traditions and how sometimes it might be time to stop.

So that had me thinking about culture and the traditions of that culture.  Then I started thinking about how different cultures 'other' each other.

I understand how and why human beings band together.  The world was - still is - a huge and scary place.  If we have allies, things don't seem quite so dangerous.  Things seem safer.

Long time readers will know that I also read a lot and my choices are eclectic and wide ranging.  Right now I am working my way through Gods and Robots by Adrienne Mayor.  It's slow going as I read and ponder.  And wonder at how little human beings have actually changed over the millenia.

Petty squabbles.  Jealousy.  Greed.  Othering people not in one's own circle of influence.  It all seems so very familiar.  And so very, very old.

Valentine's Day has changed from it's beginnings.  It is now an excuse to send silly cards, give gifts of chocolate and flowers.

Frankly I'm not a big fan of the 'special' days our society celebrates.  To me they are a marketing ploy, an excuse to buy things we don't need.

As for one day of 'love'?  I try to make every day a day of 'love'.  Love of my family.  Friends.  Neighbours.  All people.  Even the ones who exasperate me.  Even the ones who make it difficult.

Someone pointed out that St. Valentines' is also the saint of intervention from plagues, though, so there is that....

If you want the draft for the hearts, I posted it to my ko-fi page.

No comments: