Saturday, September 26, 2020

Blurry

 



Voila, slightly blurry photo from under the loom.  I was trying to get a close up and must have ever so slightly moved the ipad as I took the photo.

It is very much in the 'raw' as it is still on the loom and the reed marks plainly visible.  Once into the water to be wet finished, those thin black lines will resolve.

The colours are the ones I kind of mulled over using for a rather long time, then threw caution to the wind and went with them anyway.  I think they are going to be fine.  Fine enough that I'm not changing the weft colour and will use up the last of the black 2/16 cotton, which I estimate to be about 14 to 15 towels on this 18 towel warp.  

But 'slightly blurry' is a pretty accurate description of my day yesterday.  Best laid plans and all.

I had a 'bad' night and slept 'in'.  Then when I went to fire up the laptop I was confronted with a vanished validation code for Fiberworks.  Then when I got the code (thanks to Bob and his speedy customer service), my liftplan had also vaporized.  Fortunately I had worked out the details on the desktop so was able to recover the file and finally begin weaving.

And then I was fighting with sheds that were nasty.  What the heck now?

Turns out I'd run the warp up and over the tension rail and that 3" difference in path made a huge difference in how the shed opened.  Fortunately the rail is only held on with a couple of bolts, but it still took time and added frustration to a day that had already had enough obstacles already.

In the end, once everything was finally working, I did get one towel woven.  But I had aimed for two, so I did feel somewhat annoyed about how the day had played out.

However, a day is rarely 100% awful (yes, I know, some of them are) and the silver linings I can look to are finishing my library book, and a nice visit with a friend.

We talked about covid and the precautions we each are taking.  She is limiting her interactions by working from home and keeping her bubble very small. 

Doug and I are keeping our bubble small, visiting with physical distance, wearing masks when we do have to go out.

My friend and I don't often get a chance to visit, and with winter approaching we talked about how we can make that happen.

I suggested that we can go down to the studio where we can maintain distance but if either of us shows any kind of symptoms we will visit virtually.

While a Zoom or Skype call isn't the same as in person, it is preferable right now.  Our health officers are beginning to get Very Concerned about people going to bars, pubs, collecting in large groups.  It won't kill us to stay at home and visit safely.  Unfortunately meeting at large gatherings could very easily turn into covid hot spots.

When I learned about the 1918 influenza pandemic, I shook my head at the people who refused to wear a mask or insisted on attending large public gatherings.  

Seems like humans as a species still aren't learning much from history.

The numbers for covid continue to climb.  Almost as though it was growing virally.  (Yes, that's a pun, I know covid IS IN FACT a virus!)

Stay home if you can.  Wear a mask and maintain safe distance if you need to go out.  Keep your social bubble small and pay attention to symptoms and stay home if you have any.  Now is not the time to spread colds or flu, which are also both viruses.


No comments: