Saturday, September 19, 2020

No (Wo)man is an Island

 


the beauty of a snowflake in magnification


There is much sorrow with the news of the passing of Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

RBG (as she came to be known, or the Notorious RBG) was not someone on my radar until very recently, in no small part because I'm not an American.

But as eulogies are published about her, I see a woman to be admired for much.  And that her passing will leave a gigantic hole in American life, given the present state of politics.

While thinking about the impact RBG has had on people, I also thought about the impact that each and every one of us has on the people around us.

In so many ways people create ripples in the water of society.  Our actions, or inactions, cause others to react.

As an individual, we cannot know the effect we will have on others.  We cannot know when something - small to us - means a great deal to another person.

We cannot know the value of our input to society and when people tell us, it can and frequently does, take us by surprise.

This morning I thought about some of the people I have come to know, primarily through the fibre community.

I thought about how much some of those people have made an imprint on me, on my life.  Friends I stay in pretty much daily contact with, via the internet.  And how much poorer, greyer, my life would be without that contact.

I thought about the individuals in my local guild who problem solve, support and encourage by their words and deeds.

I thought about the women who have gone before, making my life easier, like being able to get financing with my own signature, not be dependent on a spouse co-signing.  

I thought about the people who try to make things 'right' for all, not just for a few.  And how their speaking up has, over the years, given me the courage to also speak up.

I thought about how much it means when people find out they are valued and loved.

Right now things are uncertain and scary.  People are grieving the loss of a woman who didn't set out to become 'famous' but wanted to make things 'right'.  And what will happen now she is gone.

Today is a time to grieve.  But it is also time to recognize that we all can take up the mantle of problem solver, helper, supporter.

And tell your friends how you value them.  Sometimes they have no idea how much they are valued.  Don't wait for a 'special' day - make any day special by letting them know you value them.



While I am not of the Jewish faith, I understand the appropriate phrase is May her memory be a blessing.  


No comments: