Monday, September 14, 2020

Clarity


reality bubbles...


The other day I posted about my experience with cataracts and shared it to my social media, I had some people urge me to get the surgery sooner rather than later.

Thing is, the surgery is not done until the cataracts have reached a certain state of development, determined by the ophthalmologist, not by me.  They have to be deemed 'ready' before the surgery is done.

Yes, they will be a pain.  Yes, they will limit my ability to see clearly until they are ready.  No, I'm not going to rush into it or pressure my doctor to hurry it up.

All surgery comes with risks although this one is so common now as to be barely a blip on the statistical radar.

But, and here's the thing.  The people pushing me to hurry the surgery up?  Were American.  They urged me to talk to my medical insurance company to get me the surgery sooner.

That is their reality bubble.  They forget that not everyone on the internet is an American, dealing with for profit medical care.

In fact, Americans are the *only* 'developed' nation in the entire world who has this particular struggle with boards of directors and share holders making a gigantic profit off of their health, well or ill.

I'm Canadian.  I am alive because we have universal health care.  When I needed it, I always got my health looked after, broken bones, cardiac issues, cancer treatments.  And none of it - NONE OF IT  - bankrupted me nor was withheld because I didn't have a fancy medical insurance policy.

No, my medical care does not cover everything, but not once was I put into the position of fearing for my life because my insurance would not cover the basics - and even beyond.

I am alive today because I got the care I needed - quite expensive care, I might add - when I needed it.

I did not have to choose between having the surgery that repaired my ankle, or just leaving it in a cast without the metal screws and plate that gave me most of my mobility back.

I did not have to choose between getting the angioplasty or just dying from cardiac blockages.

I did not have to choose between having chemo or dying - slowly - from cancer.

I did not have to choose between keeping my house or having triple by-pass surgery.  In Vancouver.  With the pre-eminent cardiac surgeon in the province.  The one who pioneered doing by-pass surgery without putting his patient on a heart/lung machine.

For my cancer, I have been given cutting edge treatment, given hugely expensive drugs, that I could never have paid for.

Except that we have universal health care and patients are treated according to the disease they have, not the money they don't.

So my dear American friends - do not accept the lie that universal health care is somehow inferior.  Do not accept the lie that universal health care is 'too expensive'.  Yes, I pay higher income tax than you do, but I don't pay thousands of dollars a year for a medical insurance policy that over charges and puts huge dollars into the pockets of share holders.

For those of you who expressed concern for me?  Thank you.  I appreciate your good wishes.

But I'm fine, truly.  It's just going to be a bit annoying for a while.

(gracefully descending from my soapbox, rant over)

1 comment:

Jacquie said...

And from someone benefiting from the wonderful NHS in the UK, I 100% agree.
When my body was demolished in a major car crash 30+ years ago, everything was dealt with to get me back to a virtually normal life, both in hospital for 3 months and for 2 years after care.
When I had problems after gallbladder surgery and needed a month in hospital, the only concerns were my health, not my finances.
When I had cancer two years ago, and heart problems triggered by the aggressive chemo, all the treatment, the surgery and the perfect and invisible reconstruction were done at one of the top units in the country with no thought to me about the cost.
Yes there are blips and covid19 hasn't helped, and there are some people in pain for longer than they perhaps should be waiting for surgery, but in a country where you only get that surgery if you can afford it, I'm certain there are many thousands of people in pain who know they will never get the treatment they need.