Thursday, September 3, 2020

Grey Day



Here we are, in September. 

After a summer of wet, grey, dreary days, we are entering into a wet, grey, dreary autumn, it feels like.

OTOH, the weather forecast says that after today we should have some nicer weather.  One last kick at the can for some 'summer', maybe.

The past six months has been difficult for everyone.  People are out of work.  Children have been kept from school, but are now being put back into school.  Parents are worried.

We have been fortunate here with a low case count, and while I feel quite safe, it's mostly because I have the privilege of being able to stay home, not go out to work.  In fact my 'retirement' seems to have been perfectly timed because I had already taken measures to protect myself against the coming lack of income from teaching due to 'retiring'.  Therefore the cancellation of classes and fibre events didn't impact me all that much.  Not compared to some.

Fibre folk have been scrambling to rescue themselves by thinking creatively.  A few had already been working hard getting classes on line and they have been able to launch those.  More will be coming down the pipeline as the weeks progress.

I have been approached to do something on line as well.  My initial response was to say 'no', but then I thought about it and began coming up with ways to actually do a guild program remotely.  Last night I tested my laptop and it does have a webcam.  I've asked the person requesting me to do it to test Zoom with me to make sure it will actually work.  Because I've never done Zoom and I'm a dinosaur.

But as I lay in bed last night trying to get to sleep I thought about how I could set up my studio to do it.  And immediately thought again about how all the work we did the end of last year, beginning of this, makes it possible for me to even consider doing it.

When 'normal' becomes impossible, we need to think about other ways to accomplish things.  Seems this on-line stuff is going to become more and more 'normal'.

Even the building where the guild room is has gotten on board and will be providing improved internet access.  We are already investigating on line presentations for guild members.

Our province, our country, is preparing for the second wave.  The virus isn't done with us yet.

Wear a mask if you need to go out.  Maintain safe social distancing.  Wash your hands.  Stay safe and well.

No comments: