Sunday, October 18, 2020

Value Matters

 


beige and peach warp with white weft


Yesterday I managed my 'usual' two towels and counted up the tubes so far emptied.  It was a satisfying pile.  I'm pretty sure that a nearly equal number of tubes will be emptied by using up the white as weft on this warp.

As mentioned, I'm not really a 'beige person'.  It's not a colour that excites me much.  But I'm really pleased with how the white is working on this mostly beige warp.

In fact if I don't manage to use up another colour as weft on this warp, I won't be disappointed.

When people talk about 'seeing' in their mind's eye, I am one of those people who can visualize.  But it's never 100%, just close.  And frankly, this combination is turning out much nicer than I expected.

Theoretically I knew it would work because the values are close.  there are a few darker ends for contrast but the beige and peach are pretty close in value.  What you are seeing is the contrast in hue.

And this is an error that many people make, especially if they might be partially colour 'blind' or if they can't visualize.  They don't understand that hues can make contrast while being the same or similar value.

If this photo was changed into a black and white photo, the stripes would be quite hard to see because the contrast in value is low.

With ipad and phone cameras, it is easy to turn a colour photo into black and white and sometimes when you do, things become a lot clearer.

So here is the same photo converted to black and white.  


Remember I said that a few ends were a darker value?  Now you can see them clearly.  It only takes a few ends to make it all work.

Value is more important than hue.



No comments: