Friday, April 22, 2022

Magic in the Water


 

This morning I received a nice email from someone who had my book, but wondered if I had a DVD of the topic,  I pointed her in the direction of Handwoven, where they have the topic as a 'workshop' on line.  But of course, I also have the class on School of Sweet Georgia.

Because sometimes you need to *see* a process being done, not just read about it.

Given the time, energy and money it took to produce this book (with before and after samples) I am pleased that people still refer to it, still value it.  It is now 20 years old and the whole concept of wet finishing is still not very well understood.  Although I hope that my constant harping on it online has at least raised awareness that it is something weavers need to pay attention to.

As a brand new weaver I understood that what I was taking off the loom wasn't...good.  It was unstable, raw.  And in fact, industry still refers to the web fresh off the loom as 'grey or greige' goods, not cloth.

Once off the loom, the web is inspected and any repairs needed are done, and only then does it hit the water for that wondrous transformation, from web to actual cloth.

I'm pleased as punch that I am still being asked to do guild programs, and now to work with the School of Sweet Georgia.  I was very happy to do the DVDs for Handwoven but I continue to learn.  So for anyone who wants to see fulling in action, there are my video clips on You Tube, but if you want more extensive information, check out the workshops on the Handwoven website, or join me at SOS.


after wet finishing


before wet finishing


4 comments:

Selah Barling said...

I'm a strong supporter of wet finishing textiles. Will sing the praises and demonstrate how to during a sheep to shawl. I'm an advocate. Not only because it makes the textile so much better, but I plan for my stuff to be used, and then washed.

Unknown said...

Preach! :)

JayDG said...

Several years ago I wove a scarf from 60/2 silk. And I was really disappointed with it when it was finished, it was rough, and dull. So I ignored it mainly, thinking I wouldn’t bother again.
Then recently, I bought your ‘Magic in the water’ book. And I thought ‘I never did hard press that scarf, I wonder….?’
So today I did, and what a difference! Now it’s smooth, drapey, and has a bit of sheen. Thank you for sharing what you do.

Unknown said...

I know! It’s amazing the change.