Saturday, April 2, 2022

Seeing Red

 



Seems in my pile of this red, there were two different dye lots, which I didn't notice until after I changed tubes and...oops.

The difference is slight and since the 'right' side of the towels will be the predominantly white side, I suspect the very tiny difference I can see will be all but invisible to most people.

The good news is that there is less of this yarn than I had been expecting and I may - or may not - get 8 towels out of it.  But at this point I don't much care since the goal is to use it up.

What I will use for the balance of the warp I'm not entirely sure.  Yet.  I have a whole bunch of natural white on nearly used up tubes and this design might look rather nice in white on white - a kind of faux damask.

Or I might use some of the 3.5 kilos of a mid-value turquoise green.  Goodness knows I've got plenty of it and it, too, needs using up.

The yarn is 16/2 and upon inspection it is typical of a 'woolen' type of spinning.  It's not very highly twisted and when I've used it previously the loom has worn a cloud of turquoise dust.  The lint filter in the dryer also accumulated a great deal of the turquoise when I wet finished the last batch of towels with six towels in the load.

But it needs to be used!  I will have to clear the filter fan I use for removing dust from the air, which will only take a few moments.  I piled a couple of bins in front of it because I hadn't been using it.  But given it is allergy season and I'm already having nose issues, using the filter will be required.  Plus I really don't need more dust buffalo in the rest of the house.

However, there is enough of the red to keep weaving for the next couple of days and I won't have to worry about what comes next until I'm home again.  Hopefully I can get back to weaving fairly quickly but I'm prepared to take a few days away from the loom to let everything settle down - if it needs to do that.

Currently reading Coldest Case by Martin Walker

1 comment:

Jane Eisenstein said...

Not seeing any difference in reds in your photo. Wishing you safe journeys and improved health this week.