Monday, July 25, 2022

It's a Process

 


close up view


more distant view

Orange is certainly not everyone's cup of tea.  Nor it is mine, much.  So while I know these towels won't be attractive to some people, others may find them so.

When I started weaving, the colours seemed very chaotic, and off putting.  The design wasn't large enough to resolve and it just looked - too much.  Too much busy.  Too much orange.

But instead of abandoning my plans, I thought about the design decisions I'd made and decided to have faith.

Faith that the threads would pull together and become 'whole'.  

Besides, I also know not to judge the results while sitting at the loom because sometimes you just need to see it at a further distance or a different angle and suddenly it all begins to make visual sense.

So I finished the first tea towel, then did a quick shufty around the loom to see the results from different distances and angles and hey, presto, it was working.

I carried on and have just finished towel #5.  There is still a huge cone of the copper left so there should be no problem weaving this entire warp with the copper as weft and the overall look is of flames.  So it fits my design 'inspiration'.

If - by any chance - I run out of the copper, there is a pound tube of natural linen which will work well enough, and make a nice quality of cloth for tea towels, so it's all good.

Stash reduction proceeds!

Stay tuned in about two weeks for the after wet finishing results.  

2 comments:

Judi said...

That towel is gorgeous! How can I get one?

Love reading your blog, as it gives me so much inspiration!! I really look forward to seeing what's next on your loom!

Unknown said...

When they are done they will most likely get listed in my ok-fi shop. About two week from now. Maybe three. I have other things I need to move along the pipeline, too. ;)