Tuesday, July 26, 2022

On Fire!

 


Cut the first 8 towels off the loom today, separated and serged them, and piled them neatly to one side to wait for the rest of the warp to get woven.

But as I was serging them, I saw that the cloth is iridescent.  Whether it will last through the wet finishing will be determined when I get to that point.  Sometimes it does.  Sometimes it doesn't.

Life is full of such uncertainties.  Iridescence is one of those ephemeral effects that can be extremely elusive.  Sometimes you can make all the 'right' decisions and still not get it.  Other times it isn't even really on your radar, and oops!  There it is.

Working with a very shiny yarn will increase the chances of it happening, so I wasn't entirely surprised when I spotted it.  I'm just not counting on it staying.

Anyway, if you want more information on iridescence Bobbie Irwin has a book about it.  I was privileged to see all the samples she wove for the book when I dropped by her workshop and found she was on a break and had time to chat for a few minutes.  

The warp is tied on again, ready to go tomorrow.  For now I'm done.  Time to go put my feet up and think about some of the other things I really need to deal with.  Soon.

(The book is available through a variety of booksellers, but you can also order directly from her.  Maybe she will even sign it?)  

2 comments:

Foothill Farm said...

Laura, I can't figure out who else to ask about this.
I just found out my back pain was arthritis. My right hand and wrist are also compromised. I have just retired from farming and was planning on spending my remaining years weaving and embroidering.

The pain is such that I can't sit down. How am I going to weave? I am now very sad and can't think of a way forward.

If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them. I have read your blog for a long time. It never fails to inspire me. Regards, Holly

Laura Fry said...

Best I can suggest is to talk to your health care professional. There may be a treatment suitable for you, but only way to find out is talk to someone about what's happening. :(