Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Snow!

 


My town sits on the confluence of two rivers and not too far away from where I live is a slough which is a protected wetlands area.  It has beaver and muskrats, ducks and other wildfowl.  It is a popular place to go walking.

Right now we are in the midst of a snow 'storm'.  The prediction is for about 8" of snow before it stops, then more to come later in the week.

The roads are a mess, and I'm grateful I don't have to be on the highways.  I do have to go to town today, although I may only go to my appointment and directly home again.   Not sure I want to do errands before the snow clearing crews have had a chance to clean the streets.

I grew up in this town, and am very familiar with living with these conditions.  I have the highest respect for the danger of cold weather, especially extreme cold weather.  You won't find me out and about without appropriate clothing.  (Coldest temps I have experienced were -50 C.  I nearly had frost bite and probably on the verge of hypothermia.  It was not 'fun'.)

But I am 'priviledged' insofar as I *have* cold weather gear.  And the fact that I am 'retired' and can choose to not be out in this weather - if I don't have to be.

I started weaving again yesterday, having accomplished *most* of my light duty tasks on my list (and a couple that weren't!)  I still have to deal with the ISBN requirements for Stories from the Matrix.  I won't be applying for an ISBN for A Thread Runs Through It.  Too tiny a market to bother with.

With all the changes happening in publishing and creative endeavours, I'd like to recommend to people that if they create things, they consider what will happen after their death.  (Morbid?  Not really - none of us gets out of here alive.)  With the rise of the plagiarism machines and copyright infringements, it is a good idea to know your rights.

I have asked someone to take over my books on blurb.  I have another person who says they are willing to help Doug with my studio stuff (if I go first).  I have a will, although I need to make a change to a beneficiary.  I have the forms, it's another thing on my radar, but waiting for something to occur so that I don't have to change it again after the something happens.

In the meantime, I continue to pick away at my stash.  I feel like I've been saying this for decades: I want to weave down my yarn stash.  Finally, I am beginning to feel like I have made actual headway on that.  It's been 4 years since I 'retired' and only now am I beginning to see the progress I've made on weaving up my yarn.

There are two more towels to weave on the current warp, and then the loom will get dressed with the next in the series.  The next warp will be a sort of 'snake skin' design.  With the colours I'll be using, I'm calling it 'chameleon'.  After that?  A variation on the tile design I'm currently working on.

At some point I want to weave up some of the linen I 'discovered' when I cleaned out the store room for the new hvac.  The humidors will be used because we are currently running about 30-35% relative humidity.  And linen just behaves SO much better when it has some moisture in it.  I have several tubes of a fine singles linen that I know will make wonderful tea towels.  Most of the rest is thicker, so I may set up a 2/8 cotton warp to weave those yarns into.  TBD.

In the meantime, I will be back to weaving because it doesn't seem to matter if I weave or not, and how much pain I have.  Might as well end the day with some weaving done.  And some endorphins generated via the physical activity?

I have one more bin of the dark navy towels to press, and then I'll hope for some sunshine and see if I can get decent photos of them.  Then post to ko-fi with the rest.  


No comments: