Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Snowmaggedon

 


Canadian Snowflake draft

It would be so tempting to complain about the snow falling today, but truth be told, I'm more relieved than bothered by the challenges of making my way through the fresh snow.

We are well into the new year now, and frankly the appearance of 'real' winter is welcome in this household.  The memories of last year's wildfire season are much too fresh, and having essentially zero snow on the ground at this point in the year does not bode well for the wildfire season coming up, all too soon.

We used to consider fire 'season' to be around early June (in a 'bad' year) through to September.  Now?  More like March through to - all year round, given how many fires are *still* burning.  Contained is not 'out'.  Something too few people seem to understand.

Most of the fires are to the far north east of us so...out of sight, out of mind?  But I can't forget the string of smoke filled days we had to endure.

The forecast is for cold temperatures to start moving in from the Arctic and I know this is not welcome news for many.  For those people who have no home to take shelter in, I am aware that life is about to get even more difficult than it already is.

We have donated to various local charities - from the women's shelter, to the group building tiny homes for those who either cannot find a bed in a shelter (because they are all full) to those who cannot afford to rent a room.  

The world seems to be crumbling on so many levels right now and I feel powerless to stop it.  Our donations are but moss in the chinks of a log building.  But less is better than more hardship, so we do what we can.  

I haven't really left the house much for a number of reasons, but this week I have to go out today and again tomorrow.  That means I have accumulated a list of errands.  Fortunately I live in a small-ish town and my errands today are fairly close together, mostly on main streets.  So I'm hoping once I get out of our neighbourhood and onto the main streets the snow won't be too thick.  And that drivers will take the prevailing road conditions (poor) into account and drive according to those conditions, not as though it is summer with dry pavement.  

From today for the next 5 or so days, I am on 'light duties'.  I have accumulated a stack of things that I've been ignoring that can be considered 'light' and honestly?  I'm looking forward to finally clearing them off my task list.  And then prepare for the next build up of 'things I don't really want to do, but must'.

We all have them!  Life comes with an abundance of things that must be done, regardless if we want to do them or not.  Time and time again I have proven to myself that letting such things build up simply makes them 'worse' - as in I want to do them even less.  And yet when I do actually do them, they turn out to be simple(ish) and relatively easy.  Will I learn from this?  Doubtful.

Along with the dreaded donwanna tasks, the next book is no longer on hold so much of the next few days will be sifting through and selecting photos to go with the text.  This is the part of producing a book that I really don't enjoy, but again, needs to be done.  So I have set myself an 'artificial' deadline - because without one, I will procrastinate!  My goal is to get the photos and other documentation to my editor by the weekend.  And then next week I can go back to the loom, finish the current warp and move on to the next.

I'm really looking forward to doing that because it seems I have less of the 2/16 cotton than I had been thinking, so now I'm really motivated to finish that bit of my stash off.

For now, I need to get some lunch so I can head for my 1 pm appointment, then do my list of errands.  And that should pretty much use up the rest of my day, and my energy.  Day 1 of 'light' duties solved.

No comments: