Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Gobsmacked

It is a very rare occasion when I am left without words.

So it was today when I opened an unexpected parcel from a friend. 



Pardon this less than wonderful photo - it was the best I could for the moment.  Right now I am thinking where it will be hung - probably in the studio if I can find just the right place for it.

The weave structure is overshot.  My friend was very canny and kept this a complete secret, only mentioning that she was working on some overshot.  A not unusual thing for her to be doing.  But let me copy the info from the back:

"In celebration of the Laura Fry Weaving Studio 1977-2019

Hand woven by Sheila Carey January 2020

The warp and tabby weft are 100/60 polyester core cotton (sewing thread) and the pattern weft is 60/2 silk.

The Overshot designs are based on three different 'name draft' tables.   The upper left used the words "Laura Fry Weaving Studio", the centre is "Nineteen seventy-seven to twenty nineteen" and the lower right is "AVL Number one eighty-one"

The cardboard below is from the original back of the antique photo frame belonging to the Carey family."

I can't even imagine the amount of work that went into this and I was literally without words.

I humbly say thank you to my friend of too many years to mention.  I will get a better photo once it has been hung on the wall.




6 comments:

Nancy said...

I love it! What a great encouragement and reminder of friendship!

amyfibre said...

Beautiful! Just like you and your friendship with Sheila. I'm so glad to see your achievements (so far!) celebrated this way.

judy said...

what a beautiful and meaningful gift. a real treasure of friendship

llstryker said...

It is thoughtful, thorough, kind projects that signal the depth of love behind the gift.

Juli said...

You are indeed blessed to have such a friend in your life. Treasure her!

Doreen MacL said...

Wow! An amazing gift and celebration of friendship and your career!