Monday, May 11, 2020

Plans, Best Laid


So, I had a plan.  It was a good plan.  I was pleased with myself for coming up with said plan.

Until I got to the loom.

Plan A was sort of what I wanted, but it wasn't weaving up in a way that made me happy.  I couldn't seem to work out the technical issue, so I stopped about 12 inches into the towel, backed out of the weaving function of Fiberworks, edited the tie up and started again.  About six inches into that towel, I gave up, went to the desktop, which I find much easier to design in Fiberworks than the laptop, and scrubbed both tie up and treadling to start over again.  The threading was 'set in stone' at this point, but I could still play with the other two variables.

Plan C was quite different from Plan A but I thought it might just work.  Back down to the loom with thumb drive in hand, and try (try, try) again.

The tie up is uneven or unbalanced, insofar as there are fewer threads lifted than left down.  This gives a different look to each side of the cloth - more warp emphasis on one side, more weft on the other.

Right now I'm thinking the warp emphasis side will be the 'right' side.  It looks stronger, more dramatic than the mostly weft side.

But I learned a long time ago to not set my plans in stone.  And to be satisfied with something that doesn't quite match the image in my head because sometimes I can't get what I want.  But I can get close.

This warp is going to be 'challenging' because of all the broken ends that will have to be dealt with as the warp gets used up.  I remember counting 13 breaks but there might be a few more.  I have already run into two of them.  One has been resolved, the other has a repair end hanging off the back beam.  The original end has come loose from the beam and once I'm finished the next towel, I will tie the original to the repair end, pull the original through and pin to the cloth at the cut line.

(edited to comment that my shuttle is not 'dirty' - I just weave so much that the wood shows the wear of being used)

No comments: