Friday, May 1, 2020

Merry Month of May


May first is often celebrated as a renewal, an affirmation of the returning of life, fertility. 

I remember as a child learning how to do the dance around the maypole.  I remember the smell of new grass, pollen, flowers tentatively braving the still chilly wind (here, at least).

Right now there is a great deal of uncertainty.  I have not personally had anyone affected by the coronovirus, but some of my acquaintances have.  Older folk - grand mothers/fathers - because they are in the group deemed most susceptible.  But also a spouse, in their 30s, an infant, children.  Even a few of my FB friends, gone quiet for a couple of weeks, coming back to tell their story of having it.  So we continue to stay at home as much as possible and out of the line of transmission.

I try to focus on the little things.  The play of light on the floor that comes through the fan light in my front door.  The buds on the trees.  The awakening of the gardens in the neighbourhood as I walk.  The pile of tea towels that grows and the diminishing of the filled pirns as I weave down my stash.

Today I prepared three bags to be delivered with jigsaw puzzles and other items.  Tea towels, because I have plenty and I know the three recipients will appreciate *and* use them.  Or I hope they will.

When I did a load of laundry yesterday, I appreciated folding the hand woven tea towels that have been given to me and thought a little thought of love and light towards each of the weavers.

Yesterday I sent an email to someone, checking in on them.  I know things are difficult for some and maybe my little hello of an email will help.   Maybe just having a friendly contact will ease things.

We have little control over what is happening right now and the best thing we can do is - if it is at all possible - stay home.  If we must go out, keep physical distance.  A friend is making masks for us and we will wear them.  I won't be going anywhere near other people, but a mask might help with seasonal allergies - which are ramping up here.

I appreciate the medical folk who are working round the clock to help those who have been made ill by the virus, the researchers/scientists who are working to find treatments and a vaccine.  I appreciate the workers deemed essential, who make it possible for me to actually stay at home, and a spouse willing to do all the outside errands - including delivering the three bags to our friends.

The returning of warmer weather is welcome along with the longer hours of daylight.

There is much to be grateful for - maybe not big things, but lots of little ones.  I am focusing on the little right now.  The big will come later.

Speaking of which we have a 'big' anniversary this month.  On May 9, 50 years of marriage.  I am grateful for a partner these past 50 years who designed and built tools for the studio, helped by supporting me financially when I was just getting started, actually worked in the studio for 9 years, didn't get upset when I had to be away from home to do my work, put up with messes as I used the living room for a staging area, and now does the outside the house errands, letting me stay safely at home.

We will celebrate his birthday (happened in March after the stay at home recommendation) and our anniversary once all this (waves hands) is over.  We might even have to incorporate *my* birthday into one big celebration.  And that's fine.  Special days have always been movable feasts here because one or other of us was usually away on The Day.

Stay safe everyone.  Virtual hugs to all.

1 comment:

Louisa said...

Wishing you and Doug a very Happy 50th Anniversary, Laura! Thom and I are just a year behind you in July.

Speaking of The Virus, my 46-year-old son had it early on though not too badly (whew!) but he’s still taking weeks to recover completely. Avoidance is totally worth all the hassle for sure!