Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Year of the Plague


No one said anything would be 'easy' and so it is proving.

I'm seeing a lot of people getting frustrated, saying that 2020 doesn't count because they aren't getting to (name thing here).

But Life isn't what you want, it's how you deal with what happens while you are living.

Disappointed?  Yes, I have been dealing with disappointments.  And quite frankly, if I wasn't 'retired' I would be a lot more stressed than I am.  So I get, I really do.

Things are uncertain.  Things are difficult.  Things are stressful.  All of these things are 2020 in a nutshell, this Year of the Plague.

This morning our prime minister announced that the southern border will remain closed for at least another month.  The longer the border remains closed, the more difficult life is going to be for a lot of people.  On the other hand, the US leads the world in Covid-19 cases...and deaths.  So while I regret the border staying closed (for non-essential travel), because I had a friend who was planning on coming for a visit, I understand the necessity.

I freely admit my privilege during this time.  Not everyone is in the same place, and they can't stay safely at home but must brave the workplace and hope they don't catch the virus.  Because of my privilege, I can stay home and stay out of the cross hairs, and not present myself as a target for infection.  I can choose to not become a vector for spreading it.

There have been some encouraging news stories about the development of anti-body testing, and even some promising results in the vaccine trials that have been rushed into the human phase.  But as a researcher pointed out last night on the news, that particular vaccine may not be the one that actually 'works'.  However, they can learn from it and the trials are exactly what they need in order to tweak the vaccine to make sure that a) it isn't going to cause more harm than good and b) actually provide immunity over the larger community.

A reliable vaccine is still about a year (best case scenario) from being available.

Our province is beginning to loosen restrictions but ultimately everything is uncertain right now.  Have we flattened the curve enough for society to begin to mingle again?  Dr. Henry warns of a second wave to come, encouraging all to keep physical distance and if that isn't possible, wear a mask.

What this means for groups, like schools, where the whole point is for 'large' groups to meet in confined quarters is yet to be determined.  And how many young children are going to understand that they must stay distant?  How will they play?  New games will have to be invented, I think.  I read a news story about Denmark - reducing class sizes to 10 students, and holding classes out of doors.

Years of governments slashing education budgets will have to be addressed, school class sizes drastically reduced.

What about public transport?  If I have to fly somewhere, will I have to buy all three seats in my row to ensure I'm not sitting next to someone shedding the virus?  What about people who refuse to wear a mask?  Will they be allowed to enter stores?  Why would they even want to not protect themselves?

These are troubling times.  It would be great if the experts had definitive answers, but the virus is 'novel', as in never seen before, therefore the experts are learning as they go and sometimes the recommendations change as they do learn more.  It may seem confusing but it's actually pretty simple:

Stay home if you possibly can
If you need to go out (as some of us do need to do, for various reasons) wear a mask.
Wash your hands when you get home.  Use sanitizer when you touch things.
Wash your cloth mask, clean your bags, purse, phone

As the restrictions begin to loosen, be kind.  You don't know what is going on with anyone else.  Be especially kind to employees you interact with as you go about your business.

And don't take advice from people peddling fake cures or treatments.

No comments: