Sunday, January 17, 2021

Sunday Musings

 Today was the first of the Sunday Seminar Series and it was...bittersweet.

I have so much missed getting together with like minded textile folk, just sitting down with them, maybe passing samples or finished items back and forth, my fingers feeling the quality of the cloth, and just talking.  About textiles.  About life.  About following ones passion.

While I have been doing really well during this time of pandemic, the seminar really jolted me into what we have been missing for the past year, what we have had to set aside, what we are having to do without.

But Abby talked about community, and serving, and how time is a commodity, and it all rang so many bells, I longed to be able to meet with her in real life and just sit and chew the fat, follow the threads of a conversation that we could weave into stronger community.

So while I long for in person interaction?  This morning was a pretty darned good second best.

I don't know Carol James in real life, but I do know the work she has been doing with sprang and I know I am going to find her presentation just as interesting.

Carol has focused her time and attention on ceinture fleche' and sprang.  With more archeological finds finding textile goods, there has been speculation that some of the first trousers ever made were made with sprang.  Art from Grecian times shows 'amazons' (Sythians, from the area around the Caspian Sea) wearing trousers with decoration that can easily be achieved using sprang.  Sprang is a textile technique that lends itself to any number of uses, and can be quite elastic, much like modern day leggings.


photo of trousers by Carol James

If people are interested in learning more, Carol's website has a lot more information.  Check out her classes, too.

Registration is open for Carol's seminar in February.  A bargain at $15.75 Cdn ($10.50 if you are a guild member.  

After Carol comes Deborah Chandler, then Deborah Robson.  Both Deborah's seminars are now open for registration as well.

3 comments:

Jacquie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacquie said...

Since the 4th of January, Carol James has been doing a free on-line Sprang workshop for the Braid Society through their Braids and Bands group. I think I am right in saying you don't even need to belong to the Braid Society (I do) but obviously, you do need to do a free sign up to the group. Lots of photos of all the work people have been doing including some bags.

Starting next month, Gil Dye is doing a series on making Yorkshire buttons - much less well known than Dorset buttons.

Jane McLellan said...

I've never heard of sprang. Thanks, off to follow the link. I miss talking to textile friends too. In truth, the weaver with whom I most liked to chat - about fibres, dyes, life - died several years ago. I can't even talk to her online!