Friday, April 2, 2021

Bad Day

 


Well, I know the 'rules' but the other day I wasn't having a great day and I was pretty much just running on autopilot.  

Normally 2/8 cotton rolls on without much problem, but this warp?  Started giving me grief almost right away.  It took me a long time to finally figure out what was happening, but I couldn't source the actual problem.  It was just one end, going on under much higher tension than the rest.  Finally it broke, and I tried to see what was happening, thinking the problem was in the tension box.

About 3/4s of the way through, I replaced the problem tube altogether, and when I did I finally twigged - the yarn had wrapped itself *around* the thread guide.

Well, no wonder it was behaving badly!

What this means is that in every inch section, for 3/4s of the warp, one of the ends is much tighter than the rest and this is going to be a wee problem.  However, I am going to press on and if I need to cut off and re-tie every fourth towel instead of every eighth, well, that is what I will do.  I will 'sacrifice' a little warp in order to get some towels out of it.

I have been struggling of late with a number of things and my analytical brain has been out to lunch.  I know that this kind of thing happens.  I'm just annoyed with myself for taking so long to figure it out. 

Never mind.  The warp is now threaded and today I'll sley it, tie on and start weaving.  And the resulting towels will still dry hands.  The goal is to use up my yarn stash.  I can still do that with this warp.


No comments: