Wednesday, April 14, 2021

One Step at a Time


 

Yesterday I got the warp threaded, sleyed and tied on.  I even got bobbins wound and was ready to go by mid-afternoon.  But by then I'd run out of oomph so instead of weaving a towel, which I could have easily done before dinner, I turned my attention to my fibre pile.

In my rummaging, I discovered a huge bag of hand dyed roving (Falklands) that I'd completely forgotten about.  Normally I will take a dyed roving, add several colours to the mix and make something unique, but this roving had so many colours in it already I decided to just make the blending board 'worms' from the roving by itself.  It will make a nice 'heather'.

The plan is to ply it with something else.  I've been using various rayon yarns, usually textured, and so I'll make several different yarns using different rayons for the plying.  I have no idea what I will use this yarn for - right now I'm just planning on making yarn, then deciding what it will be good for and if I have enough to make That Thing.

We have a busy day today, so I won't plan on weaving.  If we get back early enough, I'll make more 'worms', maybe read one of my library books or work on the Power Point presentation I'm about half done.

We seem to have finally arrived at real spring and Monday and Tuesday I went for a walk.  I may go for one this afternoon if I'm not tuckered out from errands.  Since spring means lots of dust/pollen in the air, I have been wearing a mask.  Even though my neighbours are being good about physical distancing, I'm wearing the mask against the pollen/dust, hoping that I don't have to deal with more allergic reactions and sinus stuff than I already am.

But this warp should be off the loom by the end of the month, and several more tubes woven off.  Every step is progress, no matter how slow.

The thing I've been ignoring but need to deal with is trying to sell some of my towels.  So the plan, now that we have decent light not dreary grey days, is to get some beauty shots of my towels and begin uploading them to my ko-fi shop.  Stay tuned.

Currently reading The Land Beyond the Sea by Sharon Kay Penman who died recently.  If you like sweeping historical novels, her books are excellent.


No comments: