Thursday, April 29, 2021

A New Month

 


Yesterday I got this far by 4:30 pm and called it a day.  There are a couple of minor tweaks but otherwise it's ready as soon as I get some bobbins wound for weft.  I was going to do that last night but by the time I got downstairs I was too tired so left it for morning.

We are almost through another month with a fresh one beginning.  May is a difficult month sometimes.  It's no longer winter, although not quite spring.  We are still having freezing nights so gardeners generally wait until the May long weekend to set plants outside.  Even then, it's a good idea to keep an eye on the overnight temps and be prepared to cover plants.

One year ago BC was in the midst of what people were calling a 'lockdown', although it wasn't really.  We were still free to leave our houses but because many businesses were closed there wasn't much incentive to go anywhere.

And that was the point - to NOT gather in groups, spreading the virus.  Our town was still quite safe as covid hadn't really arrived yet.  But it had in other towns. 

I focused on doing what I needed to be doing, and that was mostly staying home and weaving.

My goal of weaving down my stash remains.  Only difference is I'm now working on the 2/8 cotton and flake yarns.  I'm moderately pleased that those are going down.  The shelves of yarn are beginning to empty, replaced by woven cloth.

Eventually I may need to replace some yarn, but for now I'm not buying more, just working from my stash.

Tien Chiu and Janet Dawson have teamed up to bring on line opportunities for learning to weavers.  They currently have a stash busting Weave A Long happening.  If someone is looking for a community and a project, this might pique your interest.  And may give you some creative ideas to apply to your own stash.

When I hit the wall yesterday, my first inclination was to go back to the studio and ignore the internet.  That time of pause was helpful - indeed, it was therapeutic.  But I also came to the realization that I was tired.  Plus, my semi-annual review with the cancer clinic is in about two weeks and while I don't think the cancer is active enough to warrant concern, there is always that niggling of doubt.  And right now, in the midst of a pandemic, other things don't stop and getting any kind of medical treatment right now is problematic.  So there is that concern niggling away at me.

This blue warp will take about two weeks to weave off, and then there is another paler blue ready to go into the loom.  Once that is done, I'll look at another beige warp and then another blue one.  And then see how much of the white flake is left.  Then I'll have to see what else I can do.  I'm pretty sure there is more than enough to plan beyond what I've been working on.  But I won't know for sure until I get this warp and the three cooking on the back burner done.

With about two weeks per warp, I have enough yarn to see me through the summer and another few dozen towels.  Once those are done, it will be scarf making time.  I probably have about 20 years worth of fine yarns for scarves.  

I usually run a 'birthday' sale the beginning of July.  Since I have been unable to face taking photos and posting to my ko-fi shop, I may concentrate on a gigantic sale in July.  We'll see.

No comments: