Saturday, April 3, 2021

Moving On

 


In spite of the technical difficulties, I'm quite pleased with how this is turning out.

Using black on a 'beige' warp might not be intuitively sensible, but I had accidentally done just this a while ago - used up a bit of black yarn on a bobbin as waste yarn for a header - and found the effect to be pleasing to my eye.

The cloth has a feel of granite or other stone about it and this warp in particular seems to have a liveliness to it, rather than a dull appearance.  Of course, that's up close.  I haven't really looked at it from a distance yet.

The addition of the variegated yarn means a kind of opalescent effect runs through it, and - barring the slight tension issues - I'm quite pleased.

Definitely not 'perfect' but 'good'.  And I'll take good any day of the week.

Never being one to pay too much attention to holidays, I'd totally forgotten about Easter.  When I booked Zoom meetings, I forgot about Easter - so I have one tomorrow morning.  We won't be doing anything special - no hiding eggs, no buying chocolate bunnies, no heading off to church services.  I can't remember the last time I attended church, other than for a funeral.  More of them than weddings these days.  But I wouldn't go to church right now anyway for any reason because I'm not going anywhere covid might be attending.

A certain segment of the population accuses people like me of living in fear.  I'm not afraid of covid - I know how to protect myself from that.  What I am afraid of is people who accuse me of fear while taking little to no protection against a global viral respiratory pandemic and therefore spreading it willy-nilly.

Our health officer has tried very hard to walk the line between locking down and letting people continue to live their lives.  Our province got hit hard by covid right from the beginning and, in spite of restrictions, we are now in the midst of a third wave.  We started a circuit breaker on Tuesday, no doubt in an effort to keep people at home, not travelling far and wide for the holiday.  It's too soon to tell if it is working.  We have variants of concern in the population and it's looking bad, even as vaccines go into arms.

I have no answers, other than...

Stay at home if you possibly can.  If you need to go out, wear a mask.  Do not gather in large groups, in poorly ventilated spaces, for extended periods of time.  Gather via Zoom or Facetime, not in real life.

Stay safe.  Stay well.  Stay covid aware.

2 comments:

angela haws said...

*I'm not afraid of covid - I know how to protect myself from that. What I am afraid of is people who accuse me of fear while taking little to no protection against a global viral respiratory pandemic and therefore spreading it willy-nilly.
Can I share? This is exactly how I feel, and those people freak me out, there is no talking to them.
I really like the color combination it’s a very interesting effect, like a Missoni!

Laura Fry said...

Yes, you may share.