Tuesday, November 9, 2021

On to the Next

 


Another blast from the past, in part because I'm using essentially the same combination of yarns in the current warp as was used in this one.

The warp is 2/16 bamboo (from Brassard) and the weft will be various rayon yarns I have accumulated over the years.  A scarf takes a lot less weft than a shawl, so I'm hoping to use up some of the colours that are too little for a shawl, too much to toss.

This week is a bit busy, but yesterday I did manage to finish setting up the Megado, generate the file and take it to the laptop I use to run the computer dobby.  

The first weft was a fine silvery grey and while I should have probably added more interlacements to the tie up, decided to just go with a ppi slightly higher than the epi.  

The next scarf will be woven with a somewhat thicker rayon slub in a dark purple and might wind up slightly less picks per inch than ends per inch.  

I am not even trying to hit 'perfect' angle for the twill - close is good enough.

The craft fair went well for the guild and yesterday Doug carried all my stuff up the steep stairs to the guild room.  Today one of the guild members will start setting up the items for sale.  I'll drop in and see if she needs some help but only briefly as I have appointments.

I also need to focus on the documentation for Sweet Georgia.  I've just finally done a couple more pages, then printed off the instructions for the 'sample' we did in the video.  My instructions were a bit skimpy and I need to expand them for less experienced weavers.  

Perhaps I'll feel like weaving later this afternoon.  I hope so because only another 400 picks will finish the grey scarf off and it would feel nice to finish one thing today.

In order to keep myself on track I tend to break weaving down into stages so that I can have a feeling of completion/satisfaction when I finish a stage.  Otherwise it begins to feel like I'm not getting anywhere.

So this warp should produce 7 scarves, and I'm nearly done weaving one of them.  :)   The next warp will be the same combination of yarns, but I'll likely come up with a different threading draft because I only have a few colours for weft and I'd like to make them look different.  I may also change the accent colours to something different in future warps.  

The goal is to work from my stash, not buy more yarn.  We will see how that goes!

No comments: