Thursday, November 11, 2021

Stash Diving

 


I am over the halfway mark on this warp and the cloth on the beam is getting thicker.  When I finish this scarf, I will cut off and remove what is already woven, then lash on and keep going.  I figure I should get 7 scarves from this warp.  This one is #4.

There aren't as many different options for weft as I was thinking, and my options for warp are somewhat limited as well.  Not that I'm out of yarn, just...it's getting harder to combine what I have into a warp that I feel happy about, and then figure out if I've got enough yarn for weft for those combinations.  It seems I have a bunch of dark values, and a bunch of light values, little in between and not enough of anything that goes with other things.  

As this series proceeds, things will change - they have to.

For this warp, however, I have enough options to keep going and not repeat any weft colour.  It will mean shifting into the Tencel, which is fine.  Just means I fiddle with the tie up and treadlings.  Right now I'm also planning on changing the threading for each warp, but that may change if I come up with something I really like.  As in not too complicated and open to being easily changed in the tie up and treadling.  The warps will be about 11" in the reed, so I can't get terribly complicated with just 352 ends, give or take.  Or I could go with something that doesn't repeat across the width.  That is also an option.  Time will tell.

After several months of really demanding challenging warps (with a few easier ones for respite) I'm really enjoying this run of scarves.

So far the loom is behaving and so is the yarn.  And I'm using up stash, some of which is so old there were dust webs on the tubes.  Which admittedly isn't all *that* old, given the amount of fibre dust I produce.  But when I pulled that box out and saw the webs on the tubes, it was a reminder that I really need to get my stash woven down.

It's a bit daunting, needless to say.  But I'm making progress.  The added bonus of cutting off halfway is that I can begin fringe twisting, as soon as tomorrow night if all goes well.   My goal is to have these done in time for the guild's pop up sale at the art centre consignment shop.  And keep making more scarves for the rest of this month and into December to try and use up as much of this yarn as I can before I run out of ideas.

No comments: