Thursday, November 23, 2023

Sunny Day

 


Yesterday I made a dent in the pressing pile.  These have been sitting around for far too long as I work through some health issues and even though they were woven a while ago, it takes time to 'finish' them.

A lot more time when the energy spoon drawer is empty.

But yesterday I was on orders to not 'work' but stay 'active' - a perfect day to haul the press out and begin the finishing press on the latest tea towels.

It is quite satisfying to see that huge pile of mercerized cotton disappear.  The current warp won't use it all up, but there really won't be enough to make it worthwhile to set up a warp to weave it, so what is left when I'm done the current warp will go into my bobbin lace stash.

This colour has been really hard to get accurate photographs of - and this is about the best I've managed.  Unfortunately it doesn't show a lot of detail, but close ups wind up being washed out to the point of, why bother?  

However, once I'm done the rest of the towels currently ready for their final press, I'll see if I can manage something resembling reality to make 'pretty' pics for my ko-fi shop.

This series was inspired by Delft pottery.  Usually it is mostly white with blue decoration - I turned it around and used blue for the warp.  I've seen some examples of that, although they are not common.  But as a point of inspiration, that's where it began.

But what I mostly had left in the stash, once the white ran out, were other dark value colours.  So the nearly all blue at the top of the drying rack were woven with a mid-range blue weft.  There are also some with black as weft, and some with a dark hunter's green as weft.  I really like those ones, but probably can't get a good photo of them, given past experience trying to photograph this very dark blue warp.

This design was inspired by the Snail's Trails and Cat's Paws motif, and then I did a few others.  There are four different motifs using the dark blue and once I'm done the current warp, there will be enough for one more warp of dark blue, but that will be with 2/16 cotton as weft, and will go back to a natural white weft.  

What design?  Dunno.  Yet.  I have an idea I've been toying with, but haven't sat down at the desktop to work it out.

I'm supposed to be taking another 'light duty' day today (after the dry needling on Tuesday) so after massage this afternoon, I'll start getting my inventory for the guild room sale ready, then maybe play around in Fiberworks for a while, see what develops.  

We are having 'unseasonable' weather.  Almost no snow yet, which given the past couple years of drought is concerning, and warm temperatures.  However, I will enjoy the sunny day because the past week has been mostly overcast and very dreary.

And, little by little, things we have been waiting on are beginning to get done.  Winter isn't far away.  I just wonder if it will be a 'good' winter, or more of the new 'normal' which means continuing drought, too little snow, (or too much - seems like there is no happy medium) and way too warm which means horrible driving conditions - slush and/or black ice.

In the meantime, I can still weave, so I will.  The new colours from Brassard arrived on Tuesday and I'm really looking forward to working with them.

No comments: