Friday, March 15, 2024

Still Not Perfect

 


The current series of warps are...complex.  

Today, after several days delay (due to physical maintenance and body protesting said maintenance) I finally started weaving the next warp.

I wasn't pleased with the beginning - sewing the hem would cut off part of the motif at the top and bottom, and I knew I wasn't going to be best pleased with that, visually.  But I thought I would complete the first towel, then change the treadling.

Until I got about 9" woven and spotted it.  Yup.  Threading mistake.

I had threaded 10-7 twice instead of 7-10 twice.  It wasn't really obvious while I was focused on other things - like making sure everything was working properly, fussing over the hems, etc., but once I spotted it, I couldn't *not* see it.

So, I cut it off, fixed the threading mistake and re-tied.  And, since I was starting over anyway, I edited the treadling sequence to create a 'proper' hem so that the motif would not be awkwardly chopped off.

And I thought about how several people over the years have told me that they can't wait until they get to the point where they don't make mistakes anymore.

Ha.  

Anyway, it's lunch time now, so I'm going to eat and then go back to the loom.  And this time I hope I don't find any more 'mistakes'...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m a newbie weaver. So you had to cut off your weaving, warp & weft, & re-tie your 2 series 7-10 of warp threads? How did you resolve the pattern issue? Did you add rows of plain weave or twill after your hem before you started the actual pattern? I’m reassured to know that even Master Weavers have their days, but still sorry it happened to you. I had my own Waterloo yesterday. I took off my warp, wrapped it up & put it away until I could correct it, & moved on to another pattern & different yarns.

Laura Fry said...

Mistakes happen - and will continue to happen. The best course of action (imho) is to learn to look for them, and figure out how to fix them. Sometimes the fix is simple, sometimes it's more complicated. :)

For this one, I cut the offending warp ends, removed them from the heddles and re-threaded them in the proper order, then re-sleyed them where they belonged. By doing it that way, only the ends in the incorrect order were 'loose' and the rest of the warp - which was correct - was in no danger of being disturbed while the re-threading was happening.

Once that was done, I cut the beginning weaving off and got rid of the 9 or so inches I'd woven and tossed it. Then I re-tied the warp, wove a header, and began weaving after I corrected the treadling the way I wanted it to be.

In the end, I 'lost' about 9" of a 24-ish yard long warp, corrected the threading error *and* edited the treadling to something I liked a lot better. :) Not all mistakes are 'bad'!

Sometimes I will do a plain weave header, but not always. Usually when I'm at the Megado with the computer assisted dobby, I will just start weaving in whatever weave structure I'm going to use. Once the header is woven, I will re-start from the cut line, which is generally just two picks of a contrasting colour about the same grist as the weft I'm using.

On the Megado, I tend to cut off the woven web after 7 towels, remove those, then re-tie and continue. On this 24-ish warp, I tend to cut off twice. The cloth beam becomes padded and then re-setting the tension when I advance the warp becomes more difficult. Easier to just allow warp to cut off and re-tie than try to get all 24-ish yards onto the cloth beam.

Does that answer your question?