Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Upheaval


The initial sort of my teaching examples for level four is done.  There are still some things to add - and subtract - from the bins in the foreground.  I'm trying to keep everything so that they will fit into a single box.  The Gaelic College will provide the art supplies, so those can be subtracted.  But I will need to add more yarn to make sure the students can do the colour exercises.  Warp wrappings to illustrate different colour theory principles will be needed.  That basket just peeking up from behind the bins has the beginnings of the yarn selection.

The bins to the left are mostly samples suitable for level one, so they won't go far, hoping that level one at Olds will run.

The bin at the far left has 2/20 silk in it for a proposed silk scarf warp.  But I feel the need to keep going with the tea towel warps so that I can empty as many pirns as possible.  They are promised for April delivery and there are still way too many with 2/16 cotton on.  The box on the table holds the pirns for the warp currently on the loom.  Each pirn empties onto a standard plastic bobbin making a very fat bobbin, but so far it's working ok, cotton being less dense than linen, therefore weighs less.

The silk is intended to have some of the fine cashmere I purchased over the years.  Again very fine yarn, miles of it to use up.

The bin behind the ones in the foreground is actually yarn pulled for the next tea towel warp.  Late last night I pulled yarn for another warp for tea towels, again to use up pirns of yarn.

I am beginning to feel so much better I not only want to do things, I can do things.  But I am still taking it slowly.  I know I have lots of fitness to regain.  I look out the window at the compact snow and ice build up on the streets and know that it will be a few more weeks before I can start walking again.  But that was how I recovered after my by-pass surgery, and I am hopeful I can do so again.

My goal for the next few days is to continue to organize myself for level four (because I'm pretty confident we will have the numbers to run that class), keep picking away at the current tea towel warp (I am nearly at the halfway point), spend a little time reading and working on jigsaw puzzles.  Finished another one last night, which was a challenge with it's areas of very close hue/value and blobby colours.

Now that I'm feeling less pain, things are less overwhelming, I can think, I feel confident that I can carry on - mindfully, happily.  And boxes of homework are beginning to trickle in.

Currently reading Resurgence by C. J. Cherryh

No comments: