Friday, March 20, 2020

Things Change


darker blue is thicker than the pale blue and the cloth is not drawing in as much.  Selvedges are unsupported and collapsing


added sticks to support the new weft

Last night I used up the pale blue cotton slub, which was quite a fine yarn.  This morning I started using a darker and somewhat thicker slub.

As a result of the thicker yarn being used - and no other changes being made - the cloth was not drawing in as much and became wider than that below it.

I got to the end of one towel but was already seeing some effect on the selvedges becoming looser.

The solution was simple and implemented before I left the studio so that I didn't forget when I went back later.

Three lease sticks were inserted once tension had been taken off the beam.  As each stick went in, tension increased so it was loosened.  A total of three sticks, more or less evenly distributed, were inserted.

I think there might be enough warp left for 4 or possibly 5 more towels.  Since the yarn is thicker, the ppi has also changed and these towels are longer than the pale blue.  

I could edit the treadling, reducing the length of the liftplan.  Or I can just cut some off each end when I serge them.  

Since the loss of yarn is minimal - a few pennies per towel, rather than spend time editing the file I'm just carrying on.  I may leave them the length they are turning out.  Or I may trim them when I serge.  Much will depend on the overall length once I can get them off the loom to measure.



No comments: